No announcement yet.

Intel Continues To Divest In Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perhaps intel OTC has realized that they are primarily working for a hardware vendor and should not be playing useless political games about things which distribution vendors should normally fight about. The Mir vs wayland shitthrowing contest, and the effect it had on the intel graphics driver comes to mind. Perhaps Dirk Hohndel also read my blogpost about it, and the effort expended on what basically is a distraction for a hardware vendor was actively scaled back.

Comment

Originally posted by libv View Post
      Perhaps intel OTC has realized that they are primarily working for a hardware vendor and should not be playing useless political games about things which distribution vendors should normally fight about. The Mir vs wayland shitthrowing contest, and the effect it had on the intel graphics driver comes to mind. Perhaps Dirk Hohndel also read my blogpost about it, and the effort expended on what basically is a distraction for a hardware vendor was actively scaled back.
      In a sense I can see where you're coming from, but in another sense I have to disagree. There is no point in wasting time on software that has no future, but wayland definitely has a future, and it definitely has a direct relation with Intel's core business.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

In a sense I can see where you're coming from, but in another sense I have to disagree. There is no point in wasting time on software that has no future, but wayland definitely has a future, and it definitely has a direct relation with Intel's core business.

I agree Intel should not be wasting resources on things that don't have a future like Mir. When Canonical started Upstart at least it had an edge over Sys V Init and systemd wasn't around. Still systemd quickly overtook it when it was created later, because it wasn't tied to one company like upstart through the Canonical CLA so it attracted more developers.
        Now we have a situation where Canonical is late to the next-gen display server game and they don't even offer any advantages over Wayland and it still has the CLA birth-defect which will make sure nobody outside Canonical will ever contribute to it.

Comment

Originally posted by mezo View Post
          sorry, but who cares about YOU? wayland affects more people than just YOU.
          X also affects more people then just ME and i am not any kind of Narcissus... Point of ME can easely also be YOU or ELSE.
          Last edited by dungeon; 24 August 2015, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Intel seems to be less interested in Android recently and all-in on the whole Surface Pro hype train. I kind of understand from their perspective since they need to push Windows-only tech to the consumer to keep themselves relevant in that market.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

X also affects more people then just ME and i am not any kind of Narcissus... Point of ME can easely also be YOU or ELSE.
              No need to get defensive, Wayland rise only means X11 will finally enter in a hard code freeze. Nobody is going to enter people computer and force them to uninstall it.

Aditionally X will still be around for a while alongside wayland in most distros, and when X get finally removed from the stack probably you can still use it on lovely 80's feel distros(i won't name them to avoid a shitstorm) that will refuse wayland, systemd and whatever else they find outside their scope. Also many enterprise dead software(as in development) will require X, so Centos/RHEL will keep X11 around even longer that all other distros.

So no reason to fear wayland, just choose whatever works for you. Btw Freesync won't work as you think it would on X(actually im not sure is even properly supported), if i were you and i wanted to stay with X no matter what i would buy a G-Sync monitor instead and something no less than a core i5 + gtx950

Comment

Originally posted by renox View Post

Easy: remote display, I use it everyday at work.
                With X11 that's built in so every computers running X have remote display support, it's not in the Wayland's design, so it's optional now (relegated to the compositor or the toolkit).

That said, for users, security is the 'killer feature' of Wayland over X11.
                which is how it should be from the start. who else but compositor knows what should be distributed in the first place? wayland has simple logic, each window is nothing but bitmap to compositor since everything is drawn client side and guess what... that bitmap is much easier to handle in remoting as well as local handling. it is remoting made simple, sane and effective where type of distribution aka. compress or not is your choice

the thing that most people are scared of is that they will suddenly lose ability to run single application and they will be forced to remote full desktop like vnc. NOT TRUE!!!! even windows RDP has ability to remote single application on Terminal server or even on normal Windows with few (not legal) registry tweaks. wayland with "window is nothing but bitmap to compositor" has this ability even more so

no toolkit (that belongs in this era) uses X11 as protocol specifies. they all draw everything client side into a single X11 window and that is why remoting is now not working as it was intended. more so, the fact that remoting is made for X11 just makes that worse and less effective for any modern application

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

point being that only minority like you is yapping to stay in 1995. rest of us actually want to use hw features that became available after that year. and more to the point large part of reason for that minority being remoting where they can't realize that (or they are BSD users scared that if Linux leaves X, they will end up with no progress on that front)

- remoting doesn't really work as it should for a long time. at best you could summarize it as if paraplegic signed up for 100m dash
                  - remoting in wayland will work different internally, but for user it can be just as it was

here is a simple test. run gtk app over broadway and then run same app over remoting. how the hell can same app run 10x better in god forsaken browser than with remoting if remoting is so good?
                  Last edited by justmy2cents; 24 August 2015, 10:16 AM.

Comment

99.99% linux people use X and i seems to represent minority You are so funny guys, i wish you good luck with Wayland

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                      if i were you and i wanted to stay with X no matter what i would buy a G-Sync monitor instead and something no less than a core i5 + gtx950
                      No, obviosly you are not me. If i am or anyone else is forced to buy certain specific hardware for the OS to be usable then we will need to rethink things deeply, because that isn't a Desktop in my eyes - that is something specific device like gaming console.

I have Android phones, i also have Playstation 4... but i don't want Desktop to be like those.
                      Last edited by dungeon; 24 August 2015, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X