Intel Continues To Divest In Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    99.99% linux people use X and i seems to represent minority You are so funny guys, i wish you good luck with Wayland
    FAIL!!! point being... 99.99% does run X now and no one disputed that... problem being... you answered question that was never asked. actual question would be how many do they want to continue using it?

SPOILER!!! yes, you are in minority

Comment

Maybe i am, but i afraid i am not But for sure i don't care to be in future (just as example) of this kind boring shit Choose any other company who wants this, same thing i don't care.

Comment

No, obviosly you are not me. If i am or anyone else is forced to buy certain specific hardware for the OS to be usable then we will need to rethink things deeply, because that isn't a Desktop in my eyes - that is something specific device like gaming console.

I have Android phones, i also have Playstation 4... but i don't want Desktop to be like those.
        is it just me or did you actually said you want wayland while trying to claim opposite? wayland is built for modern times to support new hw features that would be problematic in X and result here is that dungeon doesn't need to buy hw because wayland actually does what dungeon wants

Comment

Maybe i am, but i afraid i am not But for sure i don't care to be in future (just as example) of this kind boring shit Choose any other company who wants this, same thing i don't care.

this is one point where i actually give thumbs up. hell, even lifting my feet. forced convergence can only work at minimum point of where devices actually converge in usage/handling/specs and you end up with half assed results for all devices.

MS already tried that and failed really, really bad, Canonical will just prove the same thing

only problem here being... how does this even relate to display server? display server has absolutely nothing with convergence

Comment

No my boy, you will just rush more people to use something else. Only devs will stay to develop on linux, not sure why someone does not solve all kernel problems fork it and build it for modern times... just avoid Linus temper and you will be all modern and stable - how yes not
            Last edited by dungeon; 24 August 2015, 11:21 AM.

Comment

No my boy, you will just rush more people to use something else. Only devs will stay to develop on linux, not sure why someone does not solve all kernel problems fork it and build it for modern times... just avoid Linus temeper and you will be all modern and stable - how yes not
              you seem to not remember path from 1 to 2 in kernel. big part was exactly that, making it more suitable to new hw.

also, most X developers now work on wayland. all you need to look is X devel mailing list, where traffic is getting smaller and smaller. now look at the changes and tell me when was the last progress? p.s. be sure to take out xwayland mails out of equation and you'll end up with not much

even better question is... if X is so great, why most X developers went with wayland? i'm guessing they are wrong since you obviously know better than actual developers

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post

this is one point where i actually give thumbs up. hell, even lifting my feet. forced convergence can only work at minimum point of where devices actually converge in usage/handling/specs and you end up with half assed results for all devices.

MS already tried that and failed really, really bad, Canonical will just prove the same thing

only problem here being... how does this even relate to display server? display server has absolutely nothing with convergence
                Can you recognise Desktop on that picture? That is main point of Wayland too, people who already use/test down there on tablet/phone there wants it on Desktop too, so that they can more natively and so easely develop apps for devices down there... plain and simple that is one and only reason for it.
                Last edited by dungeon; 24 August 2015, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Can you recognise Desktop on that picture? That is main point of Wayland too, people who already use/test down there on tablet/phone there wants it on Desktop too, so that they can more natively and so easely develop apps for devices down there... plain and simple that is one and only reason for it.
                  yes... and no

ok, desktop is Unity. and for apps to look the same on all they use patched Qt if i remember correctly (not Qt/Ubuntu fan, so i'm not sticking my fingers anywere near even slightly warm place)

but, where you miss the thing is that this is not even remotely in same star system as the main point of wayland. desktop in wayland will always look as your compositor defines it and THERE IS NOT 1 COMPOSITOR TO RULE THEM ALL. sure, if you used some compositor whose main point is convergence? why not? in the end, YOU WERE THE ONE choosing this compositor, you were always able to not opt for that. if some desktop decides to go full on with convergence... compositor+toolkit+everything else... YOU HAVE THE CHOICE to not use it same as i would guess you don't use Unity right now (and same as I don't)

unlike your claim, gnome on wayland will be looking/working just as gnome does, KDE on wayland the same... main reason being that they will implement their own compositor which will make the look and feel exactly as you expect it in X and unless application uses some toolkit which main point is convergence... application will be native to destination it was made for.

but, the main difference you will notice is that suddenly compositor not being bound by rules from 70s can actually do it even more in the style they want

p.s. and before you say anything. exact same convergence can be done with X compositor, it would just be more problematic. but, compositor being convergent or not is not something up to wayland or X. it is up to people working on compositor

update: look at this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FjuPn7MXMs

not really something usable, but this is example how compositor can define the work space. or is this even remotely as you claim?
                  Last edited by justmy2cents; 24 August 2015, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Nothing new. Users of Enlightenment desktop shell (sponsored by Samsung and running Wayland since 0.19) know that they already have those features ahead of both Canonical and Microsoft since 0.17.

Last edited by finalzone; 24 August 2015, 12:12 PM. Reason: Additional information

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
                      yes... and no
                      That Yes is enogh to me. And all No are in quiestionable area.

Once you have something we can talk about it, that is what happens in this thread... but still i am not satisfied in its Desktop goal. Those "look how i can do fancy things here" means nothing much to me, i never used compiz on my Desktop nor composite now, so Wayland solve some problems which does not exists for me (i tried all of them of course out of curiosity, but didn't use them).

And my point is not about Unity nor about Cannonical (and i know about E and Samsung), i just put a picture of general idea what is goal of Wayland... to spread something across all devices, and not mainly about technical disadventage of X.

Comment

Working...
                      X