No announcement yet.

Intel Continues To Divest In Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And i can tell you that you can't satisfy me because i am simplest user on earth and all those are questionable. Because at first let say i don't like compostion, give me an option to not use it. Screensavers, who cares i don't run that at all. Vblank also who cares, it is forced too and let say i plan to buy FreeSync monitor... so tearing should be solved by actual monitors and drivers for that in future as you see, etc...

Blah, blah, i can go all week and years around it... and i can only tell you that Wayland on Desktop is largely unneeded. And about games who knows until Wayland is there maybe most games will be played in VR so again who cares, because Wayland brings really nothing extraordinary new

And for the first and last it is not even designed for Desktop at all.
    Last edited by dungeon; 23 August 2015, 11:56 PM.

Comment

People who think X is good enough are a lot like the people who thought 640k was enough memory.

For their needs, sure, ok. In general, though, not so much. Not for where things are going.

Comment

Things going on as usual on Linux, forks all over the place and just will be more In the end there will be no community around Red Hat and will develop all of their apps
        Last edited by dungeon; 24 August 2015, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          And i can tell you that you can't satisfy me because i am simplest user on earth and all those are questionable. Because at first let say i don't like compostion, give me an option to not use it.
          I'm pretty sure you don't like it because of X11's awful execution of it. Compositors don't have to make everything slow. And if they do (on Wayland), to quote Daniel Stone, "Don't encourage it! Don't run bad compositors!"
          Screensavers, who cares i don't run that at all.
          Many people do, especially for a lockscreen.
          Vblank also who cares, it is forced too and let say i plan to buy FreeSync monitor... so tearing should be solved by actual monitors and drivers for that in future as you see, etc...
          That still means the X server has horrible latency problems and doesn't change the fact that it is nigh impossible to tell X what changes to the windows belong together to be presented as one.

Citation needed. What special needs does the desktop have that have not been considered in the Wayland protocol?

Comment

And i can tell you that you can't satisfy me because i am simplest user on earth and all those are questionable. Because at first let say i don't like compostion, give me an option to not use it. Screensavers, who cares i don't run that at all. Vblank also who cares, it is forced too and let say i plan to buy FreeSync monitor... so tearing should be solved by actual monitors and drivers for that in future as you see, etc...

Blah, blah, i can go all week and years around it... and i can only tell you that Wayland on Desktop is largely unneeded. And about games who knows until Wayland is there maybe most games will be played in VR so again who cares, because Wayland brings really nothing extraordinary new

Beauty of linux is that you get to use what you like. If you love 1995 year tech then by all means - have fun! Thing is you will be a minority and most people will silently appreciate this change even if they are not aware of this particular change, of wayland or even of display server as such. Attitude like yours is detrimental to progress. You have all your usecases covered and fuck everyone else right? Except you arent alone in this world, and your way of working os not THE WAY. People developing wayland are solving real-world problems and you take a dump on their work just like that. Its not cool.. You know i think that people like you are afraid. Afraid that linux distros will become more accessible and easier to use to wider audience which will take away that geek-exclusive cave those people live in. They probably feew this exclusiveness defines them and it is about to go away. Im sure all forum readers here could live without having to go through someone's personal problems expressed in way you did just now.

Comment

Wow, a bit misinformation about Wayland.

First, Wayland is close to finish. Intel probably work on something else (like finishing off OpenGL ES support in Mesa), as their interest on desktop part has been minimal. RedHat and others have pushed cart to the finish line, and next time spring we will see first distribution with full Wayland stack landing on user's computers. Yes, Ubuntu still uses Mir, but hatchets are buried and everything moves toward unification anyway (devinput is nice example). Mir and Wayland is similar enough so vendors don't worry about supporting them both in drivers much.

I love Xorg, it is amazing project and it has brought us so far. It will be around for many years to come. Still, Wayland/Mir is here and world is changing. TIme to accept that.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
                Citation needed. What special needs does the desktop have that have not been considered in the Wayland protocol?
                Easy: remote display, I use it everyday at work.
                With X11 that's built in so every computers running X have remote display support, it's not in the Wayland's design, so it's optional now (relegated to the compositor or the toolkit).

That said, for users, security is the 'killer feature' of Wayland over X11.

Comment

sorry, but who cares about YOU? wayland affects more people than just YOU.

Comment

Move window on Windows, then move It on Linux without Vsync, then with Vsync, then run Weston and do the same. It seems that Wayland gives Linux window management on par, if not better than DWM.
                    Last Time I used weston my PC was cool, so it's not heavier than i3 or other hipster stuff.

Comment

There is no confusion as i see Wayland normaly as X replacement... and i don't see anymore what features Wayland will bring to the Desktop user which X already does not have. Mainly all of those to me are really questionable.

Only why Wayland seems "better" is because developers can develop apps on native enviroment on their Desktops, for phones, mobile, tablets, etc... that is one and only strong point of it. So when i say "largely" i mean - that one is small point for most of the Desktop users.

For example with X you can't:
                      - run compositors with minor overhead (think about non-fullscreen 3d apps)
                      - have an external monitor with different DPI settings
                      ## VGA ##
                      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                      X