The Performance Penalty Of Xfce/Xubuntu On XMir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by djdoo View Post
    Oh and another one... Pear? No.. Apple!! Yes! BSD licence rocks for sharks!
    Just letting you know, Apple has contributed open source patches back to the community even though they were utilising BSD licensed code.
    So, what's your point here exactly? Just want to have a quick rip on FreeBSD?
    Last edited by intellivision; 06 August 2013, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by djdoo View Post
      Canonical should be thrown away of FOSS community and not allowed to use the Linux Kernel for their products, cause it behaves as a multinational company who wants to grow and eat everything else!!

Well I can remember a similar situation... How did they call it back then...
      Oh I 've remembered! Microsoft!! Yes!
      Oh and another one... Pear? No.. Apple!! Yes! BSD licence rocks for sharks!

Now seriously NOONE has the right to steal community work and develop products for own profit let alone bring flame wars to the whole community, create fanboys and as a result also great haters!

If they like to steal and ''develop'' their ''own'' software under their own licence just for them they should just make their completely in house kernel as well as their own drivers etc...

Linus said the F word for nVidia, I would say it for Canonical too! I believe they have won the trophy fairly!

The irony is that they called it Mir=Peace in Russian! I think Πόλεμος=Polemos=War in Greek would be a better name fit for it!
      There is so much stupidity in this post I don't even have any words. "Throw them out of the FOSS community and not allow them to use linux"

..seriously? bunch of fucking 10 year olds in this forum that have no clue what they are talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
        No one likes getting f***ed over, Canonical is F*** Over the FOSS community, by doing a Vendor Lockin, that's 100% what Mir is and, this is only going to hurt the FOSS community, it is doing Damaging it now, and it's Showing down Development of the Linux Desktop, by adding low level fragmentation we don't need at all, Developers 100% hate fragmentation, The Android-like style of Development is one of the Worst things to ever happen to the Linux Desktop in year's in not the Worst, and you can use Wayland now btw as it ship's on more then one OS, shipping = non Vaporware, in Xmir you can't really use Mir so it = Vaporware,
        Yeah man, Canonical is fucking the FOSS community over by making FOSS!

Comment

Originally posted by TAXI View Post
          Now that's interresting. Do you have any link to back this up? Cause then they are clearly breaking their rules.
          As mentioned earlier, the wayland devs have said all along that the server API (used by compositors, aka KWin, Gnome Shell, Weston, etc.) is not finalized yet.

The client side API used by individual apps/toolkits is, and shouldn't see any breaking changes.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            As mentioned earlier, the wayland devs have said all along that the server API (used by compositors, aka KWin, Gnome Shell, Weston, etc.) is not finalized yet.

The client side API used by individual apps/toolkits is, and shouldn't see any breaking changes.
            Yes, we've had this confusion crop up on the forums before. The API for writing applications and toolkits is stable - however, the API for lower-level poking around at the compositor level isn't yet.

And the latter probably won't be declared stable until *after* at least one of the major desktops has been fully ported to it, since that porting process will help shake out any issues with the API - gaps, or bits that don't work elegantly...

Comment

Please, is there any howto to pointlessly run a DE under XWayland a la XMir?

This is useless, I agree, but can be useful to uncover bugs and to test.

Comment

Android murdered Linux. So Canonical should not have anything left to destroy...

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                  No one likes getting f***ed over, Canonical is F*** Over the FOSS community, by doing a Vendor Lockin, that's 100% what Mir is and, this is only going to hurt the FOSS community, it is doing Damaging it now, and it's Showing down Development of the Linux Desktop, by adding low level fragmentation we don't need at all, Developers 100% hate fragmentation, The Android-like style of Development is one of the Worst things to ever happen to the Linux Desktop in year's in not the Worst, and you can use Wayland now btw as it ship's on more then one OS, shipping = non Vaporware, in Xmir you can't really use Mir so it = Vaporware,
                  This really cracks me up! I get LinuxGamer's point and appreciate his humorous grammar and punctuation!

It will be interesting to follow Mir as I dont understand how they can be contemplating putting something so unproven in a LTS.

Comment

Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
                    I read yesterday on Wayland's IRC channel, krh saying that they are making breaking changes in Wayland (libwayland-server.so specifically) that will break current compsitors. So no, the API is not stable as it is now.
                    What? Since 1.2 it was announced the stability of wayland-server API.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
                      Please, is there any howto to pointlessly run a DE under XWayland a la XMir?

This is useless, I agree, but can be useful to uncover bugs and to test.
                      No, because XWayland only provides rootless X Windows. Something that XMir will have to do in the future, if it ever wants to be able to support legacy X applications along side native Mir apps in a native Mir desktop.

Comment

Working...
                      X