X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ericg
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    My understanding was that Wayland worked with the radeon and nouveau open source drivers today.
    Judging by his comment about "faster GPU's" im thinking hes restricting himself to the closed source drivers.

Bridgman, I realize you probably can't say anything even if you did know, but Im gonna ask anyway just in case: any rumors spreading at AMD about FGLRX support for Wayland now that the protocol has been finalized and guaranteed stable?

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    My understanding was that Wayland worked with the radeon and nouveau open source drivers today.

Leave a comment:

• F i L
    replied
    Nice watch, can't wait till Wayland is more supported in the Linux world. I won't be able to use it till AMD or NVidia ports their drivers to it (or Intel suddenly starts making faster graphics chips), so I really hope those companies are looking into supporting it soon.

Leave a comment:

• blackout23
    replied
    Originally posted by MartinN View Post
    Amen. I personally never cared for open source GPU drivers - I do care for functional, stable and performant drivers though, with good documentation on how to use them, examples, as well as liberal licensing (e.g. royalty-free).

KDE on Wayland would be -sweet-!
    KDEs UI seams to be very efficient already compared to Gnome Shell on my old Laptop. It is very snappy despite all the eye candy. With Gnome it took about half a second everytime i clicked a tray icon until I got a rather jerky response. KDE deserves a good display sever.

Leave a comment:

• MartinN
    replied
    Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
    I hope I can run my KDE desktop on KWin with Wayland support soon. With prop. NVIDIA driver of course. *dream*
    Amen. I personally never cared for open source GPU drivers - I do care for functional, stable and performant drivers though, with good documentation on how to use them, examples, as well as liberal licensing (e.g. royalty-free).

KDE on Wayland would be -sweet-!

Leave a comment:

• blackout23
    replied
    I hope I can run my KDE desktop on KWin with Wayland support soon. With prop. NVIDIA driver of course. *dream*

Leave a comment:

• MartinN
    replied
    Wonderful presentation!

What an awesome presentation! It pointed out everything that X suffers from. He sooo nailed it.

Thank you for the hard work!

Leave a comment:

• kaprikawn
    replied
    Finished watching it now, it was very interesting. I'm not sure if that's because it said exactly what I was looking for it to say though i.e. X sucks and we should replace it with Wayland asap. It's a very good video for the X apologist posts though, of which there's plenty of examples on in the Phoronix forums. Every time someone says Wayland isn't a replacement for X, and X isn't going anywhere anytime soon blah blah, this video is the perfect reply.

God, I can't wait to try a Gentoo install with Wayland and excluding X in my use flags.

Leave a comment:

• frign
    replied
    Ok, I digged in a bit and found out that you can download the video using public-ftp (bypassing the faulty http-handling) with this URL, shouldn't even wget work for you:

ftp://mirror.linux.org.au/pub/linux....land_and_X.mp4

Leave a comment:

• kaprikawn
    replied
    I had to wget the video, couldn't access it through the browser.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X