Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XWayland Rootful Lands HiDPI / Fractional Scaling Support

Phoronix: XWayland Rootful Lands HiDPI / Fractional Scaling Support

Running XWayland in rootful mode now allows for working HiDPI and fractional scaling support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is it not possible then to just run every xwayland window as rootful, using for each window a separate plain/dumb window manager?

Comment

Too bad that we can't handoff the X server like we can do with some wayland compositors recently.
      (Not the wm, that's just an abusive regular client)

Comment

Originally posted by bezirg View Post
        Is it not possible then to just run every xwayland window as rootful, using for each window a separate plain/dumb window manager?
        Even with modern computers having really good performance, this is going to be a major optimization problem with the space overhead going up by O(n).

Comment

You then loose some additional things like drag and drop which rely upon all the windows existing in the same root

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post

You then loose some additional things like drag and drop which rely upon all the windows existing in the same root
            Well, if barrier/synergy can handle drag and drop over multiple OSes over the network I guess something could also be done (unless of course it's against something in how Wayland supports d&d)

Comment

Based on previous readings about rootful Xwayland, I assume the answer is yes. But in case I don't know, would running say a rootful Xwayland on top of a kiosk-like WM (e.g. cage) allow people to run X-only desktop environments or window managers without the full Xserver stack, since most (I may be mistaken here) X stuff is happening mostly in Xwayland these days?

Comment

I had a similar question when I read the article, but more along "would it not be possible to run each application in its own rootless xwayland".
                Or having one rootless xwayland process per output. Or even grouped by output scaling factor.

Maybe it is also just a question on how you start an X client.
                By default it uses the shared instance but you can probably start a new one as well.

Like opening another browser window usually defaults to the same process but you can start a new process with a different profile

Comment

[ Is it even possible to associate desktop servers (based on protocols X11, Wayland) and their windowing management to separate hardware (hw accelerated GPU support or CPU cores), by simply adding/changing some configuration options, with maybe a stopover on user level 3 for graphics hw detection and maybe user interaction&decisions? ]

Comment

Working...
                  X