Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XWayland Nukes The NVIDIA EGLStream Backend

Phoronix: XWayland Nukes The NVIDIA EGLStream Backend

XWayland had targeted both the Generic Buffer Management (GBM) and EGLStream APIs due to NVIDIA not supporting GBM like all of the other Linux drivers. But now that the NVIDIA proprietary Linux graphics driver has been boasting GBM support and advancing with their Wayland platform support in general, XWayland is letting go of the EGLStream mess...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A minute of silence for Kepler-frogs 🫡

Comment

Wayland progress could have been accelerated had NVIDIA just adopted GBM from the start.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        Wayland progress could have been accelerated had NVIDIA just adopted GBM from the start.
        I literally sold my Nvidia GPU so I could switch to wayland. I have no intention to look back now.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeioth View Post

I literally sold my Nvidia GPU so I could switch to wayland. I have no intention to look back now.
          Same here.

Comment

As long as I have to use Windows I will continue using Nvidia GPUs. No clue why but AMD drivers even with the RX 7000 series get replaced with Windows 11 updates. Requiring users to update the local group policy to disable Windows Driver Updates.

Aside from the performance of their GPUs. Nvidia ease of use on Linux along with CUDA is definitely another reason I won’t switch to another brand any time soon. Only complaint I had was issues with DSC which was resolved recently. Can finally run 4k @ 160Hz on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
              As long as I have to use Windows I will continue using Nvidia GPUs. No clue why but AMD drivers even with the RX 7000 series get replaced with Windows 11 updates. Requiring users to update the local group policy to disable Windows Driver Updates.
              That happened to me twice, when Windows Update thought it's drivers were more recent. But that problem was short lived for a limited period of time some month ago and didn't happen again.

I'd call that a one time issue not a pattern.

Originally posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
              Aside from the performance of their GPUs. Nvidia ease of use on Linux along with CUDA is definitely another reason I won’t switch to another brand any time soon. Only complaint I had was issues with DSC which was resolved recently. Can finally run 4k @ 160Hz on Linux.
              [/QUOTE]

Ease of use is as good as nvidia for most usecases if not better. If anybody wants to run cuda oder GPGPU i'd agree but I also believe thats a minority of users.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

That happened to me twice, when Windows Update thought it's drivers were more recent. But that problem was short lived for a limited period of time some month ago and didn't happen again.

I'd call that a one time issue not a pattern.

I bought a mini pc with a 7940HS which has a 780m and it was still occurring up until last month when I finally caved and updated my local group policy.

Comment

I never made Wayland to work on my old GT 610 (Fermi) through official Nvidia's drivers, it was throwing some EGLStreams-related errors, both with GNOME and patched Weston, like there was no Wayland support for this card in drivers, though it technically supported it. I blame this EGLStreams trash. If they would've choose GBM, I think it would work fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeioth View Post

Sold one garbage to move on to another.

Comment

Working...
                    X