LXQt Desktop Now "100%" Ready For Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post

I can't believe I found somebody just like me lol. I fullscreen or half-screen pretty much every app I use, but I also use my taskbar heavily. A usable taskbar on Sway would be the perfect setup, but Sway has a proprietary "bar" protocol that the LXQt bar would have to speak unfortunately.
    Bars can work fine on sway as long as they support wlr-layers which is fairly well supported now. I did see one a while ago, but it didn't have an application launcher capability

Comment

Woah, very nice candidate while XFCE moves entirely, which could take a while.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
        I swear the Linux landscape is like a country where the central government has collapsed and you have a bunch of warlords that control parts of the country and each does his own thing.

It would be great if the various DE teams would just come together and work towards creating one truly great, bug free DE for Linux.
        What you suggest is not going to work, even if that ideal DE that met everyone's needs was possible (it is not). This was recognized already 25 years ago by Eric S. Raymond in his influential essay "The Cathedral and the Bazaar".

A required reading actually for everyone who is into learning about open source communities.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
          What you suggest is not going to work, even if that ideal DE that met everyone's needs was possible (it is not). This was recognized already 25 years ago by Eric S. Raymond in his influential essay "The Cathedral and the Bazaar".

A required reading actually for everyone who is into learning about open source communities.
          A couple of hours ago I typed out the quicker 'release early, release often' mantra. Then decided 'why bother'. Most people peeing on this software just don't get 'it'. I feel as if KDE and a bunch of other's are still utilising this approach, even though they're not actively 'practicing' it.
          Hi

Comment

Originally posted by uscracks94 View Post
            JetBrains IDEs are getting blurry with fractional scaling on Wayland
            Have you tried Plasma 6? It solved the problem with blurry text with fractional scaling for me. Just set the appropriate scaling in the settings and make sure "Legacy applications (X11)" is set to "Apply scaling themselves.". In IntelliJ IDEA set the scaling in the settings appropriately. Then the text looks crisp.

Comment

Failed year.

Comment

Originally posted by blackshard View Post

Perhaps too early for Plasma 6?
                By the way, Plasma 5 works fine even on Mali-400 GPU class, funny it does not work on nvidia!
                Plasma 5 doesn't work on my dad's PC with AMD-only hardware. Perhaps too early for Plasma 5?

I mentioned this a few times before, but people just don't want to accept that AMD is not the holy grail to make Wayland work.

Comment

Originally posted by daemonburrito View Post
                  The difficulty is that laptops, in particular, unless it's a Clevo/Sager (what they used to call "white box") that gets rebadged by others (Alienware has in the past), is so deeply integrated. There's a SKU for the model, but devices and PHYs are where the real kernel support comes in, and unfortunately, those can change without notice in the same overall SKU, and even if they don't vary, they aren't transparent about what particular parts they've used.
                  That's true but OEMs usually (I personally know of at least 1 glaring exception) stick with similar-enough hardware that it makes no difference. Even if you plan to stick with Windows, you're still going to want to check all the hardware variations the laptop comes in, just in case one of them contains something you can't accept. So, if you're going to do that no matter what, you can see if any of the variations comes with a chipset or SoC that is known to be difficult to work with Linux.
                  (Strategy, btw, is to have a wide tolerance for age, say 1-2 years, compile lists of probable parts used in the models that meet usage requirements, then search sites like linuxhardware/forums/etc., and, most importantly, search the kernel source. Obvs, searching the source can be done on the web in the browser, so there really isn't an excuse no to, if you're wandering off the path of Linux sellers. And to be clear, currently nvidia graphics on a laptop doesn't meet my "supported" criteria.)
                  I have a similar strategy. I also oppose any of Intel's _____ Trail devices, anything with whitelisted hardware, anything with closed-source firmware/drivers that aren't regularly updated, and anything that has hardware that requires proprietary software to operate it. That may seem like a lot of criteria, but honestly, the vast majority of devices out there work fine with Linux with little to no effort. It's only once you start to cheap out or get a quirky device when things start to get difficult.
                  I also wish we could hold resellers like System76 to getting good hardware, though it seems ungrateful. We have all been bitten by this industry's inside dealing with coupons, rebates, contracts, etc., but at some point there is a choice between margin (padded by a manufacturer's marketing) and doing the healthy thing for the ecosystem.
                  The problem is, these Linux-equipped laptops are also free of adware. That's what pays for a large chunk of your laptop. Add to the fact those resellers see lower sales quantities and have disproportionately expensive customer support, and you're going to end up with a mid-tier laptop with a high-tier price tag. People have a hard enough time swallowing these price pills as is, so I'm sure these resellers are like "why bother with something better?"

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Plasma 5 doesn't work on my dad's PC with AMD-only hardware. Perhaps too early for Plasma 5?

I mentioned this a few times before, but people just don't want to accept that AMD is not the holy grail to make Wayland work.
                    What's his exact hardware? What's the error you are seeing? I searched your last post but there's no info I saw outside "it doesn't work" unless I didn't look back far enough

Comment

Originally posted by SSJBurger View Post

What's his exact hardware? What's the error you are seeing? I searched your last post but there's no info I saw outside "it doesn't work" unless I didn't look back far enough
                      Because I already reported it multiple times, including here on the Phoronix forums.

MSI mini PC
                      AMD Ryzen 5
                      16 GB RAM

Plasma 5 Wayland throws a black screen after entering the password in SDDM and then bounces back to SDDM. He uses openSUSE Tumbleweed, while Plasma 5 (but not Plasma 6) works fine on my AMD hardware with Tumbleweed.

Comment

Working...
                      X