Sway 1.9 Released - Using New wlroots Rendering API For Better Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sway 1.9 Released - Using New wlroots Rendering API For Better Performance

Phoronix: Sway 1.9 Released - Using New wlroots Rendering API For Better Performance

Sway 1.9 has been released as the newest feature release of this i3-inspired Wayland compositor built atop the closely-aligned wlroots Wayland compositor library...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Absolutely love seeing all the improvements to Sway + Wlroots and really appreciate how good it works for gaming. Developers behind these projects are amazing!
    Last edited by Kjell; 24 February 2024, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Sway is stable like a rock, I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeioth View Post
        It's too bad that Sway is the only stable Wayland compositor based on wlroots:
        - Waybar crashes on anything but Sway
        - Wayfire has input hold bugs
        - Labwc kills everything the moment I turn off the monitor
        None of these issues happened when I tested Sway.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeioth View Post
          It's also as useless as a rock since it's a tiling WM.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
            Yes, it's just bizarre. Some Linux developers and enthusiasts are peddling backwards as fast as possible simply because they want a replacement for X.

And a replacement would be fine with me, if it was ready and worked, and wouldn't render uncounted existing Linux applications inoperable even if it were.

Comment

IMHO, tiling WMs are love it or hate it type things and can be really nice for people who want to have fine-grained control over how every application behaves when launched. That control comes at the cost of them needing a bit more work up front. FWIW, I only care for tiling when it's with tiling plugins for KDE or like with the COSMIC Shell back when it was GNOME based because you get the best of both worlds when you can alternate between floating and tiling.

I've tried some different i3 and Sway configs I've found over the years but, honestly, I've been spoiled by KDE offering everything and the kitchen sink. COSMIC, System 76, offering a dynamic WM with everything and the kitchen sink, too, really peaks my interest. I feel bad saying that in a Sway thread, but just because they do it one way and I prefer to do it another doesn't mean I think their way is useless as a rock.

Honestly, rocks are pretty damn useful. A good rock that fits in your hand is a basic hammer, bashing weapon, and long range weapon. Tie it to a stick and you have an improved hammer and an improved bashing weapon. Split one rock with another rock and you have a basic hand axe, spear tip, knifes, or other bladed instruments. A rock tied to a rope is an anchor. A small rock in a sling has a lethal range farther than most wooden bows. Stack a bunch of rocks together and you have houses, dams, walls, roads, castles, aqueducts, and more. Grind the right rocks up, mix them together, and you have concrete mix.

Being able to see the many uses of the humble rock is what makes us an intelligent species. Don't underestimate the humble rock. It's literally the foundation of our society that everything is built upon.

Comment

I love my tiling WM. I love my sway.

Comment

Sway isn't dynamic tiling. Neanderthals.

Although I've read that it can be modified to use dynamic tiling, so it's probably not so bad.

Comment

Oh shit, I've been using and prefering tiling WM for 15 years without even realizing it's useless.

Comment

Working...
                    X