Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miracle-WM Announced As A Wayland Compositor Built On Mir

Phoronix: Miracle-WM Announced As A Wayland Compositor Built On Mir

Canonical engineer Matthew Kosarek announced the first-ever release of Miracle-WM as a Wayland compositor built on top of Mir...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Contrary to what xorg heads ran with as propaganda, seems like wayland has provided a fertile ground from where modern DE:s can grow.

Personally i am not so sure Mir is the right puzzle piece to use, since it was not even designed with wayland in mind. But i am glad to be proven wrong, and wish the project all the best!

Comment

Why use this over other wlroots based tiling wms with fancy graphics like hyprland?

From the readme I get the feeling that the answer is "just for fun".

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
        Contrary to what xorg heads ran with as propaganda, seems like wayland has provided a fertile ground from where modern DE:s can grow.

Personally i am not so sure Mir is the right puzzle piece to use, since it was not even designed with wayland in mind. But i am glad to be proven wrong, and wish the project all the best!
        I don't know much about technical details but Mir is currently more or less Wayland compositor. It supports Wayland protocol so Wayland applications will run on it just like on any other Wayland compositor.

Comment

I'm all for this, more people trying things out in our new Wayland "world" we are now in. To the above, Mir is now based on Wayland, not its own competing display server. Take this all with a grain of salt, because just inference from what I have read, but I see Mir being kind of like wlroots or Smithay, or maybe even libweston as well. I'm all for people exploring ways to do things in this space using what Wayland provides.

In regards to Wayland, I feel like I am wrapping my head around the ecosystem more and more. The different protocols are like building blocks. Some are "must have", some maybe not always needed. And yes, some "must have" items are not quite there yet. I get it.

From the display perspective, and having done some of this in web design, I "get" the idea of layers. You have your two-dimensional X * Y, then the layers as a Z levels. If someone can confirm if I have this right, at least on a basic level, I am now understanding compositing as the process where the compositor takes all the layers (think three-dimensional space) and "composites" these into a two-dimensional image that gets sent to you display. And this keeps happening every frame rate cycle.

Anyway, I'm firmly in the Wayland camp until something better possibly comes along, and happy to see all this activity in the Wayland space. "Wayland World, party time!"

Comment

What is it with people making tiling compositors? Every other week, another tiler gets announced. Meanwhile, there's like four stacking/hybrid in total.

Comment

it was not even designed with wayland in mind. But i am glad to be proven wrong, and wish the project all the best!
              While Mir was not designed to use Wayland initially, it was designed to separate different aspects of its functionality:
              • Communication with the client;
              • window management;
              • compositing;
              • rendering; and,
              • display
              are all subsystems that can evolve independently.

Because of this design approach it can support the very different window management approaches of Miracle-wm, Miriway, Ubuntu Frame, and Lomiri.

Similarly, using Wayland (instead of the mirclient API) to interact with clients didn't affect the code for other areas of the system.

But i am glad to be proven wrong, and wish the project all the best!!
              Thanks!

Comment

This community is always complaining whenever something new comes out

I'm personally glad to see new & innovative projects like this!
                Last edited by Kjell; 19 February 2024, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
                  What is it with people making tiling compositors? Every other week, another tiler gets announced. Meanwhile, there's like four stacking/hybrid in total.
                  Significantly easier to make. TilingWM users are used to their environment being barebones as hell, with no settings app, no themes, no usable taskbar, etc. Floating WM users expect most of a functioning desktop. It's why Wayfire hasn't taken off despite being a reasonably good floating WM: it has no "environment" to go with it, so it's stuck with all the crappy keyboard-shortcut based tools that Tiling WM's use, despite being floating (and thus mouse focused).

Comment

Sorry for I asks. As far as I known, Mir is a Wayland compositor, allowing to use external window manager. So, why Miracle-WM is called "Wayland Compositor"?

Comment

Working...
                    X