Niri Debuts As A Scrollable-Tiling Wayland Compositor Inspired By PaperWM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by user1 View Post
    What's the deal with most tiling window managers / compositors having this huge colored frame around focused windows? Even Cosmic DE has it, at least from the early screenshots. Imo it looks awful and it looks like something that only helps the visually impaired, so it should be treated as an accessibility feature - should be off by default like a high contrast theme.
    I'm pretty sure you can disable it in most of them. At least in Hyprland it's highly customizable, you can even have absolutely no border there.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post

You call it fragmentation, I call it an abundance of choices.
      Yes, you can call it that way too, but it doesn't change the basic fact that the resources are limited and spread too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

Yes, you can call it that way too, but it doesn't change the basic fact that the resources are limited and spread too much.
        the issue of fragmentation only comes in when you implement custom protocols that don't get upstreamed, Resources aren't really "spread too much" at all. KDE and Gnome get a large chunk of money (what they do with it is up to them). Wlroots and Smithay are both shared projects that have a shared developer pool. The issue with wayland is entirely with how poorly the protocols are setup. This is what causes the fragmentation, the protocols themsleves are still inadequate. The fragmented resources are peanuts

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

Spread too much for whom? To follow your agenda? Well you are not paying any of those people, and they are doing it for free. I am sure if you pay them enough money they will leave their own projects and follow your agenda. Otherwise you don't get to complain.

Comment

Spread too much for whom? To follow your agenda? Well you are not paying any of those people, and they are doing it for free. I am sure if you pay them enough money they will leave their own projects and follow your agenda. Otherwise you don't get to complain.
            Same absurd comment that you are also annoyed apparently. It is common here to forget that this is open source and developers do what they want, when they want (or when they are paid). Fragmentation is a natural outcome of open source and, actually, I love it.

Comment

who are doing it for free? Niri devs maybe, but it's important to note who is who the S76 employees who contribute to smithay in no small part are well employees of s76, I cannot comment on the other contributors of smithay, I also don't feel like becoming an internet stalker. so for the S76 devs they are paid developers (at least I sure hope so), who are contributing to smithay, libcosmic/iced etc. KDE developers also get paid, if not that is a gross misappropriation of donated funds. The same can be said about gnome. wlroots I can't comment on, I'm not sure if any of the wlroots/sway developers get active funding for the work they do on it.

Comment

Originally posted by alphabitserial View Post
                This sounds like a very interesting desktop paradigm for twm enthusiasts,
                This shows my age, but for me, 'twm' is Tab (or Tom's) Window Manager, the default X window manager since X11R4 (ca. 1989).

Comment

Originally posted by sharpjs View Post

This shows my age, but for me, 'twm' is Tab (or Tom's) Window Manager, the default X window manager since X11R4 (ca. 1989).
                  I'm aware of that wm but it's used so infrequently these days that I tend to just abbreviate 'tiling window manager' to twm. That's not showing my age, though. 😂 I'm just a bit of a nerd when it comes to learning the history of Unix/Linux, X, etc. I didn't start using Linux until 2008 and at that time I was just starting middle school!

Comment

text editors
                    audio players
                    terminal emulators
                    desktop environments
                    wayland compositors ​ <-- YOU ARE HERE
                    -----------------------------------------------------------
                    ( stable predictable reliable performant feature-rich Linux desktop experience ) <-- ANOTHER GALAXY. FAR FAR AWAY.

Comment

This is interesting. So in i3 I currently do win+arrow to change focus to the nearest window that direction, win+num to swap between desktops. It would be neat if changing focus with win+arrow centered the newly focused window. And that up and down worked, so you'd essentially be arranging non-overlapping windows in a 2D plane. And that win+shift+num set a shortcut to a particular window, such that win+num focused and centered that window. When a window first opens have it be the size of the screen. win+h and win+v to half the horizontal/vertical size of the focused window respectively, some mechanism to alter window size arbitrarily, win+shift+arrow to swap focused window with the window next to it.

With a 2D plane it would be quick to traverse between any window with win+arrow keys only.

Comment

Working...
                      X