Niri Debuts As A Scrollable-Tiling Wayland Compositor Inspired By PaperWM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Niri Debuts As A Scrollable-Tiling Wayland Compositor Inspired By PaperWM

Phoronix: Niri Debuts As A Scrollable-Tiling Wayland Compositor Inspired By PaperWM

The newest Wayland compositor on the scene with its first stable release is Niri, a scrollable-tiling Wayland compositor inspired by the PaperWM GNOME Shell extesnsion...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yet another tiling compositor?

Looks cool, and surprisingly it's an entirely new Wayland implementation in Rust...

Comment

This sounds like a very interesting desktop paradigm for twm enthusiasts,

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        Yet another tiling compositor?

Looks cool, and surprisingly it's an entirely new Wayland implementation in Rust...
        It's actually using Smithay which is somewhat analagous to wlroots. Smithay has been in development for several years at this point - Niri didn't home-grow an all-new implementation of the Wayland protocols in Rust.

Comment

But why limit it to one left-right scrollable wheel? From the description i first thought it would be interesting if it would be like you zoom in and out over one large desktop that contains all the windows.

Comment

What's the deal with most tiling window managers / compositors having this huge colored frame around focused windows? Even Cosmic DE has it, at least from the early screenshots. Imo it looks awful and it looks like something that only helps the visually impaired, so it should be treated as an accessibility feature - should be off by default like a high contrast theme.
            Last edited by user1; 27 January 2024, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
              But why limit it to one left-right scrollable wheel? From the description i first thought it would be interesting if it would be like you zoom in and out over one large desktop that contains all the windows.
              I wonder how in this case window minimize\focus events will work. I definitely don't want all my 50 windows rendering simultaneously eating all my computer resources. Btw need to check does Niri propagate those events for offscreen windows.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
                What's the deal with most tiling window managers / compositors having this huge colored frame around focused windows? Even Cosmic DE has it, at least from the early screenshots. Imo it looks awful and it looks like something that only helps the visually impaired, so it should be treated as an accessibility feature - should be off by default like a high contrast theme.
                In COSMIC DE you can disable it and it's now 2 pixels, before the border was huge, yes.

Comment

So... the world calls there "tiling window managers", whereas in KDE they would be Task Switcher? Only Task Switcher is more configurable.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta_44 View Post

In COSMIC DE you can disable it and it's now 2 pixels, before the border was huge, yes.
                    8 pixels or 1 pixel, doesn't matter. These kind of frames should be off by default.

Comment

Working...
                    X