No announcement yet.

Wayland Enjoyed Many Successes In 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

people should research what wayland even is before posting ignorant comments about how shit it is. Because i have yet to see many comments criticizing wayland on phoronix, even when thousands of messages thinks they are criticizing it.

Comment

For all the recent Wayland improvements, Wine Wayland is the one I'm personally most excited about.

Once wine and steam adopts it by default, then I'll have all my use cases supported.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        Cool, but too bad that only Gnome and KDE developers contribute to its upstream development, while the developers of other desktop environments expect everything to be offered on a silver platter to them.
        Hopefully they stop finding excuses to not start supporting Wayland and contribute with something if anything doesn't exists or works for them.

Wayland is definitely the future, but it needs a bit of effort and that effort would be smaller if more developers contribute to it.
        Because Wayland is crap. That's why. You failed to notice, in all those articles, most of them are 'incomplete' projects and devoid of any points of issues/bugs etc. - which are inevitable. Wayland has been in development for around 15 years and is still not totally usable?

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
          people should research what wayland even is before posting ignorant comments about how shit it is. Because i have yet to see many comments criticizing wayland on phoronix, even when thousands of messages thinks they are criticizing it.
          Because, it is shit.

Comment

Originally posted by pabloski View Post

What stats are you basing your statement on? Because I have the vague impression that Linux users mainly use Nvidia GPUs ( although they whine all the time about Nvidia being crap ).

I remember the huge noise when Nvidia didn't leave us to passthrough their GPUs to virtual machines. And the big hurrah when this restriction was finally lifted.
            Based on what? The Linux sites including this one - I'd guess the majority use AMD gpus - Nvidia gpus are used by ppl who do work while AMD gpu users mostly game.
            Wayland has been in development for 15 years and is still not ready. There are components and software w/AMD that still rely on proprietary components - so, they will have to deal with that and Wayland. Good luck to them - and all the bugs in Wayland to get figured out once xorg is abandoned. I dunno how that is treated - XWayland? I doubt that solves it on its own.

I will make this quick. KDE Plasma on a debian base. A rather low spec computer (Raspberry Pi 5 to be spesific). When X11 (without a compositor) = Responsive and fast desktop. Relatively high performance. Lower use of system resources. No refresh rate (or frame rate) limit. Can actually play 60fps youtube. The only downside is of course “screen tearing”. Which is what wayland resolves. But… When Wayland (with or without a compositor, doesn’t even matter) = Less responsive, laggy desktop. Mouse...

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I've had the AMD Wayland experience for a decade now. It wasn't just NVIDIA sucking. Wayland as a whole was a newt.

It got better.
              The (usually well funded) major contributors to Linux have been identifying issues and building solutions for wayland for much of that decade. It has finally (mostly) come together such that wayland first/only is now viable for most use cases (there will be exceptions for quite some time, and the individuals impacted will no doubt continue to be vocal, and should be contributing back to upstream projects to scratch their itch on wayland).

Comment

waylandians are off to a great start in 2024
                1. There are no valid criticism of wayland
                2. It's nvidia's fault
                3. It's amds' fault
                4. it's just a protocol
                5. all we need is MISSING_FEATURE (currently HDR)
                6. Everyone who has a problem with wayland is an idiot moron!

Happy 2024 folks!

Comment

Originally posted by fitzie View Post
                  waylandians are off to a great start in 2024
                  1. There are no valid criticism of wayland
                  2. It's nvidia's fault
                  3. It's amds' fault
                  4. it's just a protocol
                  5. all we need is MISSING_FEATURE (currently HDR)
                  6. Everyone who has a problem with wayland is an idiot moron!

Happy 2024 folks!
                  I image its hard to have to always correct the Xorg fanboys who have been crying for years on their sinking ship.

Comment

Originally posted by pabloski View Post

What stats are you basing your statement on? Because I have the vague impression that Linux users mainly use Nvidia GPUs ( although they whine all the time about Nvidia being crap ).
                    Just look at the steam statistics.

Comment

I cant wait when 2034 rolls around and ill finally be able to rid myself of x11

Comment

Working...
                      X