Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XWayland's Rootful Mode Is Becoming More Useful

Phoronix: XWayland's Rootful Mode Is Becoming More Useful

Most Linux desktop users/gamers/enthusiasts are relying on XWayland for X11 client compatibility atop Wayland compositors in the "rootless" mode. With the XWayland rootless mode, X11 applications and games can integrate nicely within a Wayland desktop environment with just the individual client window presented. However, for those interested, the XWayland "rootful" mode has become more capable this year for those wanting to render an entire X11 environment within the Wayland compositor as a window...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Comment

Meanwhile I am sitting here trying to get rid of XWayland from my system, but I cannot because the dependencies on gnome-session and ubuntu-session.

Comment

I guess they'll do something like cage with rootful xwayland and purge the rest of x11 from repos.

Comment

Originally posted by mSparks View Post
          just because you can doesn't mean you should.
          It has nothing to do with root-permissions.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Meanwhile I am sitting here trying to get rid of XWayland from my system, but I cannot because the dependencies on gnome-session and ubuntu-session.
            just switch to X11 debian, that will help keep xwayland off your system until this fad blows over. shouldnt have to wait that long, linux is currently flying headlong into its windoes 8.0 moment.
            That's what google did for their linux desktops. follow the experts.

Comment

>>> These are the packages that would be unmerged:

x11-base/xwayland
              selected: 23.2.1
              protected: none
              omitted: none

All selected packages: =x11-base/xwayland-23.2.1

>>> 'Selected' packages are slated for removal.
              >>> 'Protected' and 'omitted' packages will not be removed.

Would you like to unmerge these packages? [Yes/No]​

Comment

Originally posted by mSparks View Post

just switch to X11 debian, that will help keep xwayland off your system until this fad blows over. shouldnt have to wait that long, linux is currently flying headlong into its windoes 8.0 moment.
                That's what google did for their linux desktops. follow the experts.
                No thanks, I wouldn't want insecure X which has been described by security experts as a nightmare that is worse than what people even think.

I very much like my modern Wayland desktop.

Comment

No thanks, I wouldn't want insecure X which has been described by security experts as a nightmare that is worse than what people even think.

I very much like my modern Wayland desktop.
                  wayland is packing waaaay more zero day cves than any X11 server for sure. its been years since there was an RCE found in xorg-server, wayland servers have a new one pretty much every month.

You'd be safer running IIS if thats a concern.
                  Last edited by mSparks; 24 October 2023, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

>>> These are the packages that would be unmerged:

x11-base/xwayland
                    selected: 23.2.1
                    protected: none
                    omitted: none

All selected packages: =x11-base/xwayland-23.2.1

>>> 'Selected' packages are slated for removal.
                    >>> 'Protected' and 'omitted' packages will not be removed.

Would you like to unmerge these packages? [Yes/No]​
                    I can't remove it without Plasma and Gamescope blocking me. ​It shouldn't be that surprising that desktop and window managers have dependencies on XWayland.

❯sudo pacman -R xorg-xwayland
                    [sudo] password for $_user:
                    checking dependencies...
                    error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
                    :: removing xorg-xwayland breaks dependency 'xorg-server-xwayland' required by gamescope
                    :: removing xorg-xwayland breaks dependency 'xorg-xwayland' required by plasma-wayland-session

uid313

You can't get rid of XWayland because you use GNOME. Even if you got rid of gnome/ubuntu-session you'd still get hit with by Mutter since it also has an XWayland dependency.

There's also the Mega Chad answer of, "Bro, it's Linux and everything is open source! Fork GNOME and unWayland it!"

Comment

Working...
                    X