Wayland's Weston 13 Compositor Planned For Release Next Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dpeterc View Post
    So your idea of open source is a kind for ransomware - If you don't pay the developer, they will dismantle your perfectly working desktop into a buggy mess and keep removing features?
    ​Like it or not that exactly what a open source developer who not paid by you is allowed to-do.

They plan to replace X11 with Wayland, which can't even properly do cut & paste? After 15 years of development? Note that cut & paste was invented in 1973. Every GUI system since Xerox had a working cut & paste, only Wayland can't do it properly.
    What Operating System(s) are you seeing this problem on? Linux X11 WezTerm version 20220611-073758-dc947ed0 Did you try the latest nightly build to see if the issue is better (or worse!) than your ...

X11 server bare metal with different applications have been having copy and paste issues very recently.

Copy and Paste is something that has not been working correctly on Linux Desktops for quite some time.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
      ​Like it or not that exactly what a open source developer who not paid by you is allowed to-do.

What Operating System(s) are you seeing this problem on? Linux X11 WezTerm version 20220611-073758-dc947ed0 Did you try the latest nightly build to see if the issue is better (or worse!) than your ...

X11 server bare metal with different applications have been having copy and paste issues very recently.

Copy and Paste is something that has not been working correctly on Linux Desktops for quite some time.
      Trust me. Cut and paste is working and has been working, and still works for many years now in X11. Me and my customers use it every day, and can't work without it.
      It is only with Wayland that things are crashing left and right.
      Same Qt based application, which works correctly in X11 session, crashed on paste under Wayland session, since it switches to native Wayland backend.
      This happens on bare metal Linux with Wayland session, or VmWare with Wayland session. But not with X11. Same application also works on Windows and MacOS, but paste crashes is only on Wayland.

Good luck with forcing a pre-beta quality software as the only option.

Comment

Trust me. Cut and paste is working and has been working, and still works for many years now in X11.
        [ Impact ] I'm running LibreOffice 6.3.2.2 on Ubuntu 19.10. In this environment, copy/cut/paste often fails. Specifically, the paste command sometimes does not paste the text that was cut/copied most recently. Instead, it pastes text that was cut/copied at some prior time. [ Test case ] 1. Use use libreoffice writer/calc 2. Copy text around 3. Paste it and ensure it always work [ Regression potential ] Copy/paste won't work as expected, for non-text types ----- I use LibreOffice Wr...

Don't give me works for me messages. The reality is different X11 bugs with copy paste on X11 have always been turning up. Yes this one is LibreOffice a few years back closed not a bug.

Yes users run into the exact other problem where program works with Wayland and Fails with X11 as well.

Copy paste be it X11 or Wayland is in fact still buggy.
        People have used Wayland for many years with different applications and not hit copy paste issues either.

dpeterc basically like it or not using copy paste under X11 and Wayland is playing loto if the clipboard code will be implemented correctly or not. Yes you have cases where X11 works and Wayland fails there are just many examples out there where Wayland works and X11 fails. Its is a really sad state that on Linux we cannot depend on copy paste working let alone drag and drop.

Comment

Trust me. Cut and paste is working and has been working, and still works for many years now in X11. Me and my customers use it every day, and can't work without it.
          It is only with Wayland that things are crashing left and right.
          Same Qt based application, which works correctly in X11 session, crashed on paste under Wayland session, since it switches to native Wayland backend.
          This happens on bare metal Linux with Wayland session, or VmWare with Wayland session. But not with X11. Same application also works on Windows and MacOS, but paste crashes is only on Wayland.

Good luck with forcing a pre-beta quality software as the only option.
          Have you even reported any of those to devs?

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It more comes down to does the hardware have a KMS driver or not with Wayland.

ASpeed graphics is technically not a GPU. ASpeed is a 2D Video Graphic Adapter​ and it even a poor version of that.

Most wayland compositors can work decently with Aspeed graphics adapter. Remember GPU stands for graphical processing unit and the ASpeed items don't have that and are modern made hardware seen in the server world quite a bit.
            ASpeed seems kind of exotic/exceptional for ordinary desktop distributions. Anyway, thanks for mentioning.
            Sometimes it's more effective disabling hardware acceleration from gpu with overriding the initializing command for 'login/compositor(tiling|stacking)/display manager' startup towards llvmpipe (cpu software renderer) for snappier user experience (especially with mixed multiple display setups, with combined integrated/discrete gpu/external (not hw driver supported) monitor, e.g. more likely possible with cheap/rare arm64/risc-V hw)?

'most wayland compositors'
            These require either GDM, greetd, SDDM. Inplementing GDM or SDDM is (mostly) no light distro, from my knowledge. Work arounds for special tasks show x11's maturity and user experiences, while there's sometimes few to no support for Wayland with configuration tasks, customization, conf/monitoring tools or driver sources (except hardware support through kms driver sources)?

From my POV light distros did not get much attention for Wayland_ready so far (XFCE4, LightDM, LXQT (~! 1.3?), Enlightenment)?

Comment

Originally posted by back2未來 View Post
              [off quote purpose]

From my POV light distros did not get much attention for Wayland_ready so far (XFCE4, LightDM, LXQT (~! 1.3?), Enlightenment)?
              correction: maybe wrong for SDDM (being called simple desktop display manager, compile time ~1-2min from sources, sole ~30MB, incl. implementation on distro for Wayland?) within LXQT (partly Wayland for 1.3 'https://lxqt-project.org/release/2023/04/15/release-lxqt-1-3-0/', nearing to Qt6.x)

(Thanks for reading)

Comment

Working...
              X