Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland's Weston 13 Compositor Planned For Release Next Month

Phoronix: Wayland's Weston 13 Compositor Planned For Release Next Month

Plans have been drafted to release the Weston 13.0 reference compositor for Wayland next month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't see reason for Weston, does even anyone uses this code for anything?
    It looks like a waste of time.
    RBEU #1000000000 - Registered Bad English User

Comment

Originally posted by sobkas View Post
      according to the site:

The Weston compositor is a minimal and fast compositor and is suitable for many embedded and mobile use cases.
      and

Out of the box, Weston provides a very basic desktop, or a full-featured environment for non-desktop uses such as automotive, embedded, in-flight, industrial, kiosks, set-top boxes and TVs. It also provides a library allowing other projects to build their own full-featured environments on top of Weston's core.
      Last edited by cynic; 10 October 2023, 05:47 AM. Reason: added another quote

Comment

How do I dislike this comment?

Comment

You already did.

Comment

Quite a big user is MS Windows WSL2. Yes weston is what allows X11 and Wayland applications to work with WSL2.

Comment

Gr8 b8 m8 I r8 8/8

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post

How do I dislike this comment?
                Hack phoronix and code proper functionality, though my wild guess is that Michael would mind it.

Comment

Since Wayland is still relatively young, people didn't know what would work best. So the community took two approaches:
                  • Weston - Larger monolithic approach, allowing for plugins to extend a larger system to customize it. Possibly more akin to Xorg.
                  • wl_roots - Smaller, lighter approach, providing a more minimal framework for individual compositors to build upon.

It could be that Weston is easier to "standardize" which might be why the commercial industry currently favors it (after Xorg). Though in my personal findings, it is just not very good, documentation is lacking and it doesn't seem too reliable as a plugin API; I think the wl_roots is the way to go.

Comment

Weston should be the compositor of the main Linux OSes.

Comment

Working...
                    X