WayVNC 0.7 Released As VNC Server For Wlroots-Based Wayland Compositors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WayVNC 0.7 Released As VNC Server For Wlroots-Based Wayland Compositors

Phoronix: WayVNC 0.7 Released As VNC Server For Wlroots-Based Wayland Compositors

WayVNC 0.7 was released today as the newest feature update to this VNC server for use with wlroots-based Wayland compositors like Sway. WayVNC will dynamically attach to running Wayland sessions and allow for convenient VNC server support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Elephant. room. from git.
    This is a VNC server for wlroots-based Wayland compositors (⛔ Gnome, KDE and Weston are not supported).​

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
      Elephant. room. from git.
      Wayland is perfect. You're holding it wrong.

Oh, wait

Comment

Wayland and X11 are conceptually different, with different tradeoffs. Most of the examples you've provided do not come 'for free' from using X.Org, but require active awareness and participation from every window manager and every client. If you look into how full-featured and universally-compatible X11 window managers actually work, you will see a ton of workarounds for clients which do not implement these protocols correctly or at all. Equally client toolkits have a pile of workarounds for buggy window managers. If you build an app for X11 with Unity, you will note that it offers you the choice of 7 different methods for fullscreen.​
        Quote from this
        Originally posted by avis View Post
        I feel that end-user or X11 software developers doesn't grasp the bigger picture that is X11 as a whole. Why XWayland sliced that pie into a more maintainable slice. But when fans comes and argue, reason and counter-arguments becomes pointless while the world moves on (I am making the ironic point that I am biased for making a biased argument).

Comment

Can anyone recommend vnc server that works on weston? Or does such a server not exist?​

Comment

Sethox

That quote is terribly insincere. Nothing stops Wayland developers from making it right - it's a brand new protocol after all, you don't need to create seven ways of making windows full screen but Wayland has made sure we have a dozen incompatible compositors ... implementing multiple ways of going fullscreen (actually I'm making this up, I'm not sure if that's the case but other desktop related features are often incompatible between compositors). Unix and Linux have always been about 1) code reusal 2) compartmentalization. Wayland has thrown both out of the window. The Wayland protocol is not even code itself, it's a text description. It's up to compositors to implement it.

Comment

Wayland is perfect. You're holding it wrong.

Oh, wait
              post from 2 years ago, with issues already fixed, want to trash on wayland give at least a up to date argument

Comment

Originally posted by Brittle2 View Post

post from 2 years ago, with issues already fixed, want to trash on wayland give at least a up to date argument
                You've neither read it, nor understood it. It's not fixed, it's not going to be fixed in the foreseeable future.

Comment

Sethox

That quote is terribly insincere. Nothing stops Wayland developers from making it right - it's a brand new protocol after all, you don't need to create seven ways of making windows full screen but Wayland has made sure we have a dozen incompatible compositors ... implementing multiple ways of going fullscreen (actually I'm making this up, I'm not sure if that's the case but other desktop related features are often incompatible between compositors). Unix and Linux have always been about 1) code reusal 2) compartmentalization. Wayland has thrown both out of the window. The Wayland protocol is not even code itself, it's a text description. It's up to compositors to implement it.
                  the fullscreen argument is wrong, there isn't multiple ways of doing fullscreen, but the code reusal i agree, they take too long to have a standart implementation, wlroots fixed that but it took time, they could ditch weston for wlroot, no one uses weston :/

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post

Quote from this

I feel that end-user or X11 software developers doesn't grasp the bigger picture...
                    You answer to one of the biggest trolls here. It's somewhat entertaining but it's still troll-feeding.

Comment

Working...
                    X