No announcement yet.

WayVNC 0.7 Released As VNC Server For Wlroots-Based Wayland Compositors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As long as it doesn't support the two most used desktop environments, KDE Plasma and Gnome, it's pretty much useless.

Comment

Originally posted by User42 View Post
      You answer to one of the biggest trolls here. It's somewhat entertaining but it's still troll-feeding.
      I mean...
      Originally posted by Sethox View Post
      I am making the ironic point that I am biased for making a biased argument.

Comment

I'm really interested in solution like terminal server that allows users to have access to server and be able to run their own graphical sessions over the net.
        Something like Citrix but open and supporting Wayland.
        Any ideas?
        RBEU #1000000000 - Registered Bad English User

Comment

Originally posted by sobkas View Post
          I'm really interested in solution like terminal server that allows users to have access to server and be able to run their own graphical sessions over the net.
          Something like Citrix but open and supporting Wayland.
          Any ideas?
          I watching for responses to this because I have the same question....and no, I'm not be sarcastic or snarky....I am truly interested.

Comment

First point is it is a bit of a shame they implement their own crypto today, especially when it's part of the internals of the program and not "at the periphery", especially when screen sharing is already complicated enough on its own... With light VPNs like wireguard, it's even harder to justify unless you really want a full CA architecture with related problems (and even then, managers like Tailscale solves that in the general case).

Second point is, why the heck, in 2023, would you target wlroots by hooking into it specifically when one can use pipewire and simple off-band communication? That's what Steam remote play has been using without much trouble and as far as I know it works everywhere. That's for VNC-type sharing. For RDP-type ones, Waypipe (though not working perfectly yet) is getting there.

If there is no support for the main DEs out there, there won't be much momentum making it better over long periods of times.
            Last edited by User42; 05 October 2023, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by User42 View Post
              Second point is, why the heck, in 2023, would you target wlroots by hooking into it specifically when one can use pipewire and simple off-band communication? That's what Steam remote play has been using without much trouble and as far as I know it works everywhere. That's for VNC-type sharing. For RDP-type ones, Wirepipe (though not working perfectly yet) is getting there.
              Pipewire is to be compatible with both X and Wayland. I guess this defy their "goal" to be Wayland-only?

Comment

Originally posted by billyswong View Post
                Pipewire is to be compatible with both X and Wayland. I guess this defy their "goal" to be Wayland-only?
                Ironically enough, making it supported on both ends makes Wayland more viable the more time passes (with the more modern technologies being supported on Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by billyswong View Post

Sorry, that's going to be sarcastic but "oh no! a single API to support everything, preposterous!". (By that I mean, no pipewire is really a good thing and you nailed why )

No I guess they went for the simplest: wlroot is a good idea, it's just not the only implementation out there so they are not Wayland-only, they are wlroot-only which is a bit frustrating. Screen recording is sorted already (a single API provided by pipewire) no need for complicated DE-specific weirdness there. All the off-band interaction could also be simplified (by mapping the VNC API to compositor-specific ones). At the moment, if I want to implement a Gnome or KDE backend, I have to fork everything... Would have been much better to include a bit of modularity in the code so that porting WayVNC to a new DE was just a bit of plumbing.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
                    You've neither read it, nor understood it. It's not fixed, it's not going to be fixed in the foreseeable future.
                    As it currently stands all the Wayland compositors must implement (some of which are yet to be standardized): Screen recording and...

Yes that 233 is trash and is locked and closed because it is trash.

I wonder if Wayland developers could maybe consider writing a reference Wayland server which provided all these features and APIs and only required WMs and DEs to provide very simple window managers which drew window decorations.​
                    Guess what. That is Weston with the concept that you would add .so files on to weston.

Yes these do add where the shell can be a different process.

233 is basically written by a person who foolish goes and request something the Wayland developers already provided with stack of junk with it.

There is old saying can take a horse to water but you cannot make it drink.

Yes wayland standard reference server is Weston. Yes the fool that opened 233 did not check what features Weston already supported. Yes writing a windows manager as a .so file is supported by the reference Wayland server Weston. If you were wanting windows manager as it own program that would be totally different bug request and that would be to merge like the wayward code mainline.

So yes Wayland developers had already considered the request and already done it(in their eyes) this is why they class the 233 and other items like it spam.

NOTE: We are currently working on an alternative solution that preserves (most of) the compatibility with this protocol but does not expose a global coordinate system. Please...

Above is what serous attempt looks like to fill in protocol gaps. Notice clear use case examples and understanding of what already exists.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

Wayland is perfect. You're holding it wrong.

Oh, wait
                      You're very boring, same issue again.

Why not be more original and interesting instead? You could suggest Arcan.
                      Last edited by timofonic; 05 October 2023, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X