Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    Are you using X11/Xorg?

Clearly your display driver fails to load, probably because of Crapland.
    No that is the failure point for finding nothing.

winewayland.drv is in wine-8.16. Even if wayland is there that not going to be the direct problem. Ok winecfg comes up but the interface being rendered as a broken mess is possible with the early winewayland.drv but is not the nodrv.

Wine is a program that has a lot of optional dependencies. Yes the winehq website has apt install --install-recommends << the --install-recommends is kind of critical when installing wine. Wine min location is only text based terminal works.

nodrv_CreateWindow most common causes you are missing the X11/Wayland dependencies to work or you don't have a graphical at all that functional yes some people ssh into a server without x11 or wayland running and without ssh -X forward and wonder why they get this message..

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

No that is the failure point for finding nothing.

winewayland.drv is in wine-8.16. Even if wayland is there that not going to be the direct problem. Ok winecfg comes up but the interface being rendered as a broken mess is possible with the early winewayland.drv but is not the nodrv.

Wine is a program that has a lot of optional dependencies. Yes the winehq website has apt install --install-recommends << the --install-recommends is kind of critical when installing wine. Wine min location is only text based terminal works.

nodrv_CreateWindow most common causes you are missing the X11/Wayland dependencies to work or you don't have a graphical at all that functional yes some people ssh into a server without x11 or wayland running and without ssh -X forward and wonder why they get this message..
      You really should stop making things up. It's not helpful.

I'm using X11, and forwarding works fine for wine-6, xclock, xeyes, etc. Just not at all on wine-8.

root 1415 1407 1 Sep17 tty7 01:03:58 /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg -core :0 -seat seat0 -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -nolisten tcp vt7 -novtswitch

E​

Comment

Originally posted by gavron View Post
        I'm using X11...

E​
        Ok, I've narrowed it down to a regression in how wine attemps to create a window conflicting with the NVIDIA proprietary driver.
        WIne-6 has no issues. Works great.
        Wine-8 doesn't work using NVIDIA mode.
        Switching to the Intel mode allows wine-8 to work just fine.

# prime-select intel && reboot
        $ winecfg
        Works great

# prime-select nvidia && reboot
        $ winecfg
        Fails as per the previous post

# prime-select intel && reboot
        $ winecfg
        Works again

E

EDIT: Submitted as a regression bug to winehq.
        Last edited by gavron; 21 September 2023, 02:43 PM. Reason: Added winehq bugzilla reference.

Comment

Wayland is so modern that games are obsolete for it. It's a waste of effort.

Comment

Originally posted by guglovich View Post
            Wayland is so modern that games are obsolete for it. It's a waste of effort.
            Native linux games with SDL and GLFW work perfectly fine in wayland-native mode.

Comment

Ok, I've narrowed it down to a regression in how wine attempts to create a window conflicting with the NVIDIA proprietary driver.
              WIne-6 has no issues. Works great.
              Wine-8 doesn't work using NVIDIA mode.
              Switching to the Intel mode allows wine-8 to work just fine.

EDIT: Submitted as a regression bug to winehq.
              https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=55633
              I was not thinking that this would be another Nvidia prime defect.

There is a fun one where with Prime the Nvidia GPU in ondemard mode has had another problem where using wine/proton has resulted in the complete graphical output locking up for a few mins or at worst complete dead.

So wine not starting is the minor problem with Nvidia Prime issues. There wine/proton and a few other programs can bring out these problems.

I was thinking you had a sane desktop Linux system. Not a nightmare from hell laptop. Nvidia prime has a lot of odd ball quirks that come out.

Nvidia driver for lots of things is insanely buggy particularly with PRIME.
              Last edited by oiaohm; 21 September 2023, 10:18 PM.

Comment

I was not thinking that this would be another Nvidia prime defect.

There is a fun one where with Prime the Nvidia GPU in ondemard mode has had another problem where using wine/proton has resulted in the complete graphical output locking up for a few mins or at worst complete dead.

So wine not starting is the minor problem with Nvidia Prime issues. There wine/proton and a few other programs can bring out these problems.

I was thinking you had a sane desktop Linux system. Not a nightmare from hell laptop. Nvidia prime has a lot of odd ball quirks that come out.

Nvidia driver for lots of things is insanely buggy particularly with PRIME.
                Yes, I hadn't thought it connected to prime... and yes, insanely buggy and an undebuggable closed driver doesn't help. Sometimes the hardware we have is a function of what we do and how its rewarded so that's all I will say about that...

Fortunately the WINE devs are moving this along in the process now that they are aware of it. It's not a high priority given it's not for games... but as far as Crossover is concerned this would help them sell the "WINE runs all your professional applications under linux" message. That's my hope.

Comment

Yes, I hadn't thought it connected to prime... and yes, insanely buggy and an undebuggable closed driver doesn't help. Sometimes the hardware we have is a function of what we do and how its rewarded so that's all I will say about that...
                  Its particularly annoying when you on desktops at time do prime with intel and AMD and it works perfectly. There are issues that Nvidia closed source driver has not fully implemented all of DMABUF that PRIME really need to work well resulting in very wacky things happening.

Comment

Its particularly annoying when you on desktops at time do prime with intel and AMD and it works perfectly. There are issues that Nvidia closed source driver has not fully implemented all of DMABUF that PRIME really need to work well resulting in very wacky things happening.
                    Can confirm. I run a prime setup in my HTPC with an Intel iGPU for display/video decoding and (currently) an AMD Fury Nano for 3D rendering, it works perfectly fine and only has a small performance loss over when the Fury was in my main desktop.
                    Added bonus is that the iGPU can output 4k60 via HDMI whereas the Fury can only do 4k30, so I can forego an active DP to HDMI adapter.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbine View Post
                      I don't really get wine as a product.
                      Wine isn't a product. I don't understand how hard it is to understand that not every piece of software is a product. Some are just community projects building something for themselves. (Hmm, you seem to have struck a nerve)

Comment

Working...
                      X