No announcement yet.

GNOME's Wayland Session Shows Potential For Better Battery Life Than With X.Org

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surprisingly, until today Wayland is not that much faster than X.Org. Actually I thought we would have gains around 30% - 50%, when I heard the first time about Wayland and its promises.
    Maybe the architecture and code has to mature 5 more years?

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
      Surprisingly, until today Wayland is not that much faster than X.Org. Actually I thought we would have gains around 30% - 50%, when I heard the first time about Wayland and its promises.
      Nothing about Wayland can magically make your hardware 50% faster.

All it can do is remove inefficiencies, and even X isn't that slow.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        All it can do is remove inefficiencies
        That I was talking about and it wouldn't had been that unrealistic, see Vulcan vs. OpenGL.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
          This is a new PC, so yes, it's a clean account. I never restore any settings. On my laptop it was a relatively clean account as well.
          Please note installer created account in some cases is not clean. Some distributions wayland does not work with the installer created account and you spin up a new user and it magically works.

Yes relatively clean or installer created relatively clean are not clean. I have also run into a few cases with X11 where things have been a little strange until I created a new clean user and worked out installer had done something stupid in the installer created user with some distributions.
          Last edited by oiaohm; 24 December 2021, 07:38 PM.

Comment

That I was talking about and it wouldn't had been that unrealistic, see Vulcan vs. OpenGL.
            The reality here is it is unrealistic for wayland to speed stuff up massively. In most cases it will be under 10 percent.

Remember opengl and vulkan basically bipass X11 and Wayland for 99.9% of all operations. Please note that 99.9% is on the low side number and its not just a number I have pulled out head. If you perform a trace of all operations by applications using opengl and vulkan you see 99.9+ going straight to hardware by buffers without touching the X11 or Wayland bits.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that most of these games are being run through XWayland. Even then, Gnome's Wayland backend could be ten times faster than it's X11 backend and it may not result in 30-50% gains in a game.

The majority of a game's frame time is taken up by shading, texturing, and lighting a complex world at high resolutions. The time spent sending the finished frame to the compositor is the smallest fraction of that time.

Vulkan is removing inefficiencies of the aforementioned shading, texturing, and lighting process.

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post
                Vulkan is removing inefficiencies of the aforementioned shading, texturing, and lighting process.
                And all those fixes are neutral between Wayland, X11 and MS Windows.... Something that Steffo has missed is how many operations these days that just bypass X11/Wayland/MS Windows output management. Of course every operation that bypasses means there is less to performance gain with.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

Please note installer created account in some cases is not clean. Some distributions wayland does not work with the installer created account and you spin up a new user and it magically works.

Yes relatively clean or installer created relatively clean are not clean. I have also run into a few cases with X11 where things have been a little strange until I created a new clean user and worked out installer had done something stupid in the installer created user with some distributions.
                  New user doesn't solve the issue, in both instances.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
                    First of all, this depends on the display type.
                    Rule of thumb:
                    Monitor --> 'Full' color range
                    HDTV --> 'Limited' color range

Now, the evil devil called nVidia makes changing this setting dead-easy via GUI.
                    However, everyone else can enjoy some quality time with their PC to try to change this setting, especially so on Wayland:
                    Fix washed out colors on Linux with Xorg/Wayland display server and Intel/AMD video cards

So, what are you waiting for?
                    Go on, spent some well deserved time with your PC this holiday season.
                    Cheers!
                    For now, I just go use Plasma X11. Problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

I guess you did not try a clean account. Plasma does run into problems with X11 setting causing Wayland to fail to start. Yes it also runs into the reverse where you have a Wayland settings from running Plasma and you attempt to run back on X11 and now X11 Plasma fails to start and is throwing you back to SDDM. Yes this is KDE Plasma known issue.

Ideal world you would be able to switch between X11 and Wayland modes with the same user account but we are not there yet.
                      Will be this issue fixed?
                      Last edited by Azrael5; 27 December 2021, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X