Wayland 1.19 Is Set To Come Soon As First Update In Nearly One Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AJSB View Post

Ahhh yes, the (in)famous usual "do it yourself" slap in the face to shut up critics, OK then...
    That's the way the world functions, and that includes computer software.

Don't like something? Create an alternative. Can't do it? Jolly well use what is provided and STHU.

Comment

Originally posted by set135
      It is also important to realize that X11 has been kept going by the addition of various extensions over the years-- many of the ones that people would now consider essential for a working desktop did not exist until relatively recently. If one went back in time to when X11 was as old as Wayland, not only would you be missing this critical functionality, your choice of window managers would also be ... shall we say... underwhelming.
      X11 at 10 years old is worse than that. At 10 years old you had to buy X11 servers to get accelerated support at all. No X11 server supported more than 40 percent of the graphics cards in the market as well. Of course all the different X11 servers when X11 was 10 years old did not implement all the same set of X11 extensions either. At 10 years old X11 is a fragmented mess at the server level before you even start talking about the Windows manager.

Comment

its kind of wrong to comparte x11 vs wayland at the same edge. you should know what to expect from wayland since you had/have and example of x11 (from a dev point of view).
        or maybe i have no clue what i'm talking

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post

Not exactly whining...it was the comment about Wayland be "complete" that kinda triggered me...Yeah, i'm perfectly OK with X as is but there's always the possibility that my favourite Distro(s) sooner or later migrate to Wayland and then, i will have a problem if by then these issues are still not solved.

PS:
          Not only Custom Resolutions but also Refresh Rates....many times we can OC, even in the supported Resolutions, the Refresh Rate.
          Well, in that case X is not complete either, since there are no HDR support, color management is handled on the application level and so on. Currently we are in a state where X and Wayland both have features the other one is lacking, but both are complete in the sense that it works for the majority of users. However, Wayland actually have a design and a code base with a future. After all, it was created by X developers due to the fact that X no longer was suitable for modern hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

There is no desktop that fully implements everything... and I DON'T WANT A BLOATED DESKTOP ENVIRONMENT. I want a tool, that does what I ask... AND GOES AWAY.
            Was this sarcasm? Well, at least I loled, I mean "-I want EVERYTHING!!!!! But is must NOT BE BLOATED!!!! But I want EVERYTHING!!", Haha, funny!

Comment

Originally posted by rastersoft View Post
              Nonsense. That only means that a possible protocol for doing that must be defined OUTSIDE wayland. It never meant that it is not possible to do it if you use Wayland.
              It's impossible due to practical reasons such as that every single standalone compositor must re-implement the same features or they simply are not available. Even if there was a simple library for making it "as easy as possible", after years of piling features on top of features there would inevitably be a growing feature-gap and fragmentation among different DEs.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                moron, current mir is wayland compositor
                You retard. Mir is a framework for building modern and standardized desktop environments. It provides the necessary abstractions out-of-the-box and if everyone adopted Mir as their platform, Mir would become the reference Wayland implementation while also providing a standard set of end-user tools for configuring the trivial things like input devices.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
                  It's impossible due to practical reasons such as that every single standalone compositor must re-implement the same features or they simply are not available. Even if there was a simple library for making it "as easy as possible", after years of piling features on top of features there would inevitably be a growing feature-gap and fragmentation among different DEs.
                  Except that fragmentation is already reality when you get into doing cut and paste under X11. So fragmentation is going to happen no matter what. This is just how X11 development has worked wayland development is going to be no different.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
                    I want to introduce you to http://www.freedesktop.org You are welcome.

Comment

is stepping up again as release manager
                      This doesn't sound good for the health of a project that is supposed to be the next-gen compositor for Linux...
                      Every time sounds like a project in limbo.

Comment

Working...
                      X