Wayland 1.19 Is Set To Come Soon As First Update In Nearly One Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Not sure that has anything to do with it as Wayland is still not exactly running nicely on my Intel-only hardware either. So either Intel purged their documentation or the devs aren't reading it.
    I bet it runs much nicer with Intel than nouveau. With AMD it's perfect. Btw. I hope you're talking about Gnome, aren't you? KDE is out of discussion when comes to Wayland, because it's far behind Gnome in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      Wayland is pretty much complete now. Moving to meson-only is also a no-brainer.
      Wayland's been complete for years, yet here we are. Still stuck on X11.

I'm beginning to think with the poor adoption rates still after all these years, maybe Wayland was just shit all along, I mean it's the only explanation I can think of for why I'm still not using it, despite having wanted to use it since like 2016.

I mean this is tech from 2008, it's already fucking old by this point maybe canonical and the rest of 'em who tried to make their own display servers had the right idea all along...
      Last edited by rabcor; 18 December 2020, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rastersoft View Post

I want to introduce you to http://www.freedesktop.org You are welcome.
        Yes? Do you think some abstract standards on a paper are magically going to morph into functional program code on its own?

Comment

Originally posted by Grinness View Post

Changing resolution is accomplished by using the settings panel of the DE/DM (supporting wayland)
          In Gnome 3 go to Settings -> Displays.
          There you can change:
          Orientation
          Resolution
          Refresh rate
          Scale

all according to the capabilities of your monitor.
          Similar in KDE.

If your DE/DM does not support wayland, use XRANDR (Xorg/X11 specific extension) as you will be using X11 anyway

I think he's talking more specifically about custom display modes. I have a finicky display that I need to convince to operate at my desired refresh rate and blanking intervals, so I recognize how useful xrandr is. Probably something similar should be standardized for compositor configuration protocols even if you don't see it as a high priority.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post

Yes? Do you think some abstract standards on a paper are magically going to morph into functional program code on its own?
            Sometimes I wonder what kind of twisted concept of the reality has some people.

That is the forum where the people who create the code for the main desktops talk about what is needed and how to do it in the best way. And AFTER they all decided that, is then when they start coding.

But maybe you think that the best way of doing it is to just let each party implement their own vision, and hope that, magically, all of them end being interoperable.

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post

Ooooh, it is ?!?

So, what is exactly the replacement for XRANDR in Wayland to easily make CUSTOM Resolutions ? No ? Guess i will stick with X for "some" more time then...
              Wayland is a protocol, like X11. Xrandr is a tool for Xorg, a implementation of X11, like Mutter, Kwin, wlroots and other on Wayland.
              There is already wlrandr to fulfil your needs communicating with various compositors over a standard interface

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post

Wayland's been complete for years, yet here we are. Still stuck on X11.
                Wayland is a Protocol, while it is quite old now, stable display servers supporting it only showed up in the last 3 years. That mainly has to do with nearly no one creating one from scratch but adding Wayland display server functionality to their existing Xorg compositors aka Mutter & Kwin.

And now today, there is not really any reason left to not use a modern Desktop with a nice stable fast wayland display server.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Wayland is a protocol, like X11. Xrandr is a tool for Xorg, a implementation of X11, like Mutter, Kwin, wlroots and other on Wayland.
                  There is already wlrandr to fulfil your needs communicating with various compositors over a standard interface
                  wlrandr does not exist.

Comment

I would also like to mention that -MANY- displays, especially TVs, have really bugged EDIDs.... The ability to set custom display modes is -critical- for a lot of people.

It's not like this is news, it's -WELL- known...

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

I think he's talking more specifically about custom display modes. I have a finicky display that I need to convince to operate at my desired refresh rate and blanking intervals, so I recognize how useful xrandr is. Probably something similar should be standardized for compositor configuration protocols even if you don't see it as a high priority.
                      I used to generate video modes when I was using XFree86 -- on CRT monitors to be precise.
                      Back in the days some vendors provided video modes files for windows (XP and pre era) as an update to set "non-standard" resolutions/refresh

I understand the issue and I feel the pain of ppl still in that situation.
                      I would assume though that with modern LCD flat-pannels the issue is long gone (at least for the large majority).
                      Note that messing with modelines/video modes was and is a dangerous thing -- a lot of CRT went into the waste ...

Also a lot of work has gone into Xorg to automatically set the monitor preferred/standard refresh and resolution
                      Even Xfree86 version 4 was already providing some automatic detection of modes:

Comment

Working...
                      X