Wayland 1.19 Is Set To Come Soon As First Update In Nearly One Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AJSB View Post

I'm sure that someone will blame the DEs and will say that is nothing to witch Wayland have to deal with...in fact, NOTHING is Wayland's fault :")
    Wrong again: that IS something that Wayland must manage :-P

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      lol, who needs random game to change GLOBAL SCREEN RESOLUTION?
      keep us posted
      I assure you that is NOT related AT ALL with ANY game.
      For Gaming, i'm sure that usually the EDID will supply more than enough Resolutions and Refresh Rates.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

That's extremely stupid, there should be a reference implementation of every possible feature.... DEs can do what they want, but you shouldn't be required to depend on one (none of which implement all features fully anyway).
        A feature of what?
        XRANDR is not part of Wayland, it is part of X11.

if you look at the link I posted earlier you find the explanation of why XRANDR is not part of Wayland:

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=105804
        [...]
        I think two major counter-arguments are: a) access control, we do not want arbitrary applications changing video modes at will, and b) once the Wayland display server accepts connections so that an app could program a video mode, the server has already initialized the display hardware so it's too late and will lead to glitchy user experience.
        [...]

Essentially, the hardware (monitor) has been set up already querying its capabilities via EDID, before wayland is started
        To change the hardware (monitor) setup while the relevant stack is running is not a great idea.
        Would you change the core frequency of your CPU/motherboard in the BIOS or at runtime while the kernel is running?
        Would you overclock your GPU while a game/3d app is running?

X11 allowed to do this, but it also allows all sort of stuff -- that's why it is abbandonware
        (mind I have no personal preference, but I do use Wayland with no shortcomings -- no drag&drop issue or any other)

Comment

Originally posted by nvaert1986 View Post
          I never understand why people (especially a select group of open source based users nowadays) always need to bash things (in this case wayland or in other cases NVIDIA)
          because novideo doesn't support wayland. but some are stupid and bashing wrong side

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
            I assure you that is NOT related AT ALL with ANY game.
            For Gaming, i'm sure that usually the EDID will supply more than enough Resolutions and Refresh Rates.
            for anything change of monitor resolution shouldn't be available in display protocol. it's not general client's job. your hardware is handled by kernel

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post

Custom resolutions was manditory when I started out less than 20 years ago. Okay perhaps not requiring cvt and xrandr newmode/addmode/output functionality but at the very least a custom X11 config. Growing up I had to salvage parts and I came across many screens with wack EDID readings. Today I don't have that problem because I'm buying overpriced 144Hz HDR 1MS IPS gaming screens, but I still remember doing a manual sync balancing once. It wasn't fun, but it was worth the effort in the end. It's like writing your own floating-point library... something you'll never forget.

I agree with cb88 about a reference implementation of every feature. It will cost a fraction of the time that is spent to write and debug everything over and over, such a waste of time.

Edit: fixed some of the typos
              The point is that X11 comprises several elements. It doesn't matter if, in X11, something was done "internally" because now, with Wayland, all those things are separated, and Wayland only comprises the part of an application (any application) creating windows and painting inside them, nothing else. That means that, although it is perfectly possible to define an standard to do the same thing that XrandR did in X, that standard does not belong to Wayland, but must be a different standard.

Thus, what I mean is that the error is not in asking for that functionality, but in insisting to put that functionality inside Wayland.

(well, and, of course, in wanting to do it just now, because someone mandates it right now, stop doing whatever are you doing and start working in this capability that I want right now even if with current LCD monitors it makes less sense and all that).
              Last edited by rastersoft; 17 December 2020, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
                There is no standard way for configuring anything
                anything unrelated to wayland. that's how it supposed to be. for configuring your bios or coffee maker you pull your head out of your ass and leave wayland alone
                Originally posted by curfew View Post
                Mir is the only way to bring some sense to this mess, and all DEs should be ported to running on top of Mir -- ASAP!
                moron, current mir is wayland compositor

Comment

That's extremely stupid, there should be a reference implementation of every possible feature....
                  reference implementation of Settings -> Displays? this idea is extremely stupid indeed.
                  DEs can do what they want, but you shouldn't be required to depend on one (none of which implement all features fully anyway).
                  you are free to select de which matches your expectations

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                    But what if you want a custom resolution?
                    hardware is driven by kernel. display server gets resolutions from kernel. if you think kernel gives wrong list, complain to kernel

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      reference implementation of Settings -> Displays? this idea is extremely stupid indeed.
                      you are free to select de which matches your expectations
                      There is no desktop that fully implements everything... and I DON'T WANT A BLOATED DESKTOP ENVIRONMENT. I want a tool, that does what I ask... AND GOES AWAY.

Comment

Working...
                      X