No announcement yet.

GNOME's Mutter Adds XWayland Full-Screen Games Workaround

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeap kde is way better than gnome from a graphical point of view. i have no benchmark between them but i really don't like that GNOMEish desktop

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

What does your rant have to do with anything I said about my past Gnome experience? And does the fact that the three most popular desktop distros (Mint, Manjaro, MX) don't use Gnome as default kind of work against your "ONE DE TO RULE THEM ALL" argument? Just wondering.

Whatever, enjoy your DE of choice, free world and all. Have an upvote for using all caps to make your point, that's always very persuasive.
      Asking a toddler to put distros in order based on what words they like best would get you better results than distrowatch statistics.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
        I can understand your confusion if you haven't kept up. Gnome DE and by extension GTK is the default Linux DE and toolkit now. This has happened by default from the fact that when you combine global commercial, institutional and personal installs of Ubuntu and Ubuntu based distros plus Red Hat/Fedora based distros plus Debian and Debian based distros you get a OVERWHELMING majority percentage of those distros by default running a Gnome or GTK based DE. The ONLY MAJOR commercial distro in the entire world that defaults to KDE is Suse and they are a very small also ran when it comes to the combined commercial and cloud based Linux installs of Ubuntu and Red Hat. And that's even BEFORE you include Debian.

KDE had their chance. But the entire KDE 4 and early 5 cycle pretty much sealed their fate as an also ran when it comes to Linux DE's. I've used KDE from the v.3 through the first 5 dot releases of KDE 5. I have used Gnome since 2000. I'll never go back to KDE. Between IBM/Red Hat AND Debian/Ubuntu, Gnome and GTK is THE Linux DE and DE toolkit going forward. You may not like it. Gnome may even NOT be the best. But like Windows and Mac OS-X and Android there can really only be ONE DE in order for the masses to accept a platform. The ONLY hope Linux has of wider acceptance by the mass public and not just for hackers and nerds is to have one DE. That is now Gnome.
        Why are you conflating together Toolkits and DEs? Ah yes, because you want to say that GNOME is Standard Desktop.

GTK and GNOME are two different things, even if GTK is more popular than Qt (and it has always been) this does not mean anything about GNOME.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

What does your rant have to do with anything I said about my past Gnome experience? And does the fact that the three most popular desktop distros (Mint, Manjaro, MX) don't use Gnome as default kind of work against your "ONE DE TO RULE THEM ALL" argument? Just wondering.
          None apart from you and the guy that wrote the bot to up its popularity on Distrowatch know what a "MX" is.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            Why are you conflating together Toolkits and DEs? Ah yes, because you want to say that GNOME is Standard Desktop.

GTK and GNOME are two different things, even if GTK is more popular than Qt (and it has always been) this does not mean anything about GNOME.
            In his defence, the previous post by Volta conflated gnome with GTK.

"No serious GTK3 applications". Libreoffice. Evolution for those that use it will probably also be considered a seroius app.

For me, other than VLC I do not think i use any other Qt applications. i have always wondered if Qt could be layered on top of GTK like it is on top of the Windows GUI on Windows or how it is on MasOS. That could be an interesting experiment that would prevent the need for them to write their own windowing code for one platform only.

Comment

None apart from you and the guy that wrote the bot to up its popularity on Distrowatch know what a "MX" is.
              I'm pretty sure he put his SuSE is "a very small also ran when it comes to the combined commercial and cloud based Linux installs" blast in there just for you. I was going to defend dear old SuSE, but don't want to step on your toes.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
                In his defence, the previous post by Volta conflated gnome with GTK.
                Two wrongs don't make one right.

For me, other than VLC I do not think i use any other Qt applications. i have always wondered if Qt could be layered on top of GTK like it is on top of the Windows GUI on Windows or how it is on MasOS. That could be an interesting experiment that would prevent the need for them to write their own windowing code for one platform only.
                What you mean with "layered on top"? Qt is a full stack, just like GTK is. At most you can change themes to look like another toolkit.

Comment

What you mean with "layered on top"? Qt is a full stack, just like GTK is. At most you can change themes to look like another toolkit.
                  Qt has an interesting design where AFAIK it is designed to usethe lower level GUI provided by the platform by way of platform plugins.

On Linux, since there is no unified lower level gui, Qt provides its own platform plugins for X11 and Wayland. Instead of having a platform plugin to X11 or Wayland, maybe one could be made atop of GTK (More likely GDK).

I may have understand things (very) wrong though, or it may be at the wrong level of the stack.

Comment

All this Wayland work and Nvidia is still borked.

* There doesn't seem to be a way to make GDM + Nvidia start a Wayland GNOME session. Have to use .bash_profile script.
                    * XWayland apps/games use LLVMPipe software rendering rather than direct rendering on Nvidia.
                    * Gnome frequently hardlocks the system on Wayland session with Nvidia, just using random apps.

I know this is mostly Nvidia's fault for lackluster Wayland support but it's a horrible experience nonetheless ATM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
                      The ONLY MAJOR commercial distro in the entire world that defaults to KDE is Suse [...]
                      Are you sure? I thought it was GNOME. Even openSUSE switched to GNOME by default recently, IIRC.

Comment

Working...
                      X