• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    gedgon
    Phoronix Member

• gedgon
    replied
    Originally posted by Baguy View Post

[...] i don't get any kind of widget jumping.
    I don't buy it. Can you screencast? Grab the window form the top left corner. It's easier to spot that way.
    Edit. I'm not using NVIDIA, btw.

Edit 2. Looks like they just fixed this in Plasma 5.18 https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=415839#c26

Videos from the bug report.

Before:
    https://bugs.kde.org/attachment.cgi?id=125404
    After:
    https://bugs.kde.org/attachment.cgi?id=125403
    gedgon
    Phoronix Member
    Last edited by gedgon; 09 February 2020, 03:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Baguy

• Baguy
    replied
    Originally posted by gedgon View Post

Looks pretty much the same in 5.17.2 https://youtu.be/VzHHsyqGDq0
    Are you using a NVIDIA card? On my RX 590 with the 5.4 kernel (AMDGPU), i don't get any kind of widget jumping. Try Kwin-lowlatency and set it to the nvidia workaround to see if that fixes it.

Leave a comment:

• gedgon
    Phoronix Member

• gedgon
    replied
    Originally posted by Baguy View Post

Most plasma applications with the latest plasma release (5.17.2) don't have any kind of widget jumping. Further, Roman Gilg has been rewriting kwin pretty much completely, and further patches are still to come.
    Looks pretty much the same in 5.17.2 https://youtu.be/VzHHsyqGDq0

Leave a comment:

• Baguy

• Baguy
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    what makes you thing gtk2 or qt is not native on gnome? some brain damage? gnome executes binaries, they can link to any library they like.
    It might run on gnome, but that doesn't mean it acts native. Theming is non-existent (At least for QT applications. However i think GTK2 applications also don't get themed), and these applications will look inconsistent due to sticking with SSD in general. Plasma for example offers GTK2, GTK3, and QT theming, and in 5.17 you can sync the GTK3 colors to match the QT colorscheme. 5.18 will be getting GTK2 color matching to the QT colorscheme.

Unfortunately plasma is missing frame extents support in Xorg (CSD frames render fine in Plasma Wayland), so CSD applications don't have shadows or rounded corners.
    Baguy
    Last edited by Baguy; 05 November 2019, 11:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Baguy

• Baguy
    replied
    Originally posted by gedgon View Post

Yes, I'm a dumb ignorant. You are probably talking about v-sync.
    Most plasma applications with the latest plasma release (5.17.2) don't have any kind of widget jumping. Further, Roman Gilg has been rewriting kwin pretty much completely, and further patches are still to come.

Leave a comment:

• andrea76

• andrea76
    replied
    The worst thing in GNOME is one thing: the javascript system that runs extensions.

I usually have Gnome crashing at least DAILY because some poor written extension that is able to cause segmentation fault to gnome-shell.

Leave a comment:

• Volta

• Volta
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    The only thing objective about the whole Gnome vs KDE nonsense at this point of time is that only Gnome works almost perfectly with all software under Wayland.

While Kwin on Wayland is still a bloody mess with windows flickering as though having seizures, Firefox windows not loading their contents in Kwin Wayland, and Chromium (Ozone) not even drawing their windows on Kwin Wayland.
    No, it's not. Steam works much worse under Gnome's Wayland than X. There are regressions and cursor problems. It's usable, but not perfect.

Leave a comment:

• Sonadow

• Sonadow
    replied
    The only thing objective about the whole Gnome vs KDE nonsense at this point of time is that only Gnome works almost perfectly with all software under Wayland.

While Kwin on Wayland is still a bloody mess with windows flickering as though having seizures, Firefox windows not loading their contents in Kwin Wayland, and Chromium (Ozone) not even drawing their windows on Kwin Wayland.

Leave a comment:

• Volta

• Volta
    replied
    that's 3 bugs. i don't see comparison with kde. are you implying kde has no bugs?
    No genius, but KDE doesn't leak on my system and according to KDE system monitor uses much less memory. Furthermore, in comparison to Gnome KDE seems to be perfectly bug free. At least I'm not seeing any serious bug right now.

did you measure kde memory usage with gnome's system monitor?
    No genius, because it will load gnome libraries and memory usage will be higher.

Leave a comment:

• Volta

• Volta
    replied
    i am serious. now try bringing some evidence to backup your crazy claims
    I think there's already enough evidences of your stupidity. I'm serious.

You're f*cking stupid, but I'll explain: fixing all of compatibility breakages of gtk3 is much less work than porting to qt
    Stupid idea from stupid man. Is it better to mess with this crap every time they break compatibility or to port it to Qt and don't care anymore?

some people can only decide "to stick with qt rather than rewrite in gtk3" when they have qt codebase. when they have gtk3 codebase, they can only decide to stick with gtk3 rather that rewrite in qt
    In the future, moron.

lol, they are not gtk3 because they are not part of list which says in first sentence "This is a dynamic list and may never be able to satisfy particular standards for completeness" ? in case your vivid imagination is drawing pictures of them using more gtk2 than gtk3, they are not using gkt2 at all. and no qt at all.

but since you are so aggressive imbecile who has nothing to backup his claim other than clueless link to wikipedia, i'll bite. your link has subsection7.1 web browsers https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s#Web_browsers
    and its first line says Main page: Web browsers that use GTK
    and first item on that page is firefox
    No, they're not gtk3, because they're not written in gtk3. It's such simple imbecile. Furthermore, the list you have shown proves what I said earlier: Firefox uses gtk3 under Linux for simple things (dialog maybe). It's also used for extensions, but UI is written in XUL and html5.
    Volta
    Last edited by Volta; 03 November 2019, 08:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X