Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems Being Investigated Under Wayland Itches Program, Including Gaming Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    debianxfce is badly designed, nothing helps. He is just writing garbage as you see. He does it intentionally to prevent the success of the Phoronix forums. That is not good for us and Michael, many have left the forum.
    Fixed...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Fixed...
      Michael only keeps this forum up an running for debianxfce , the homeless must go somewhere, Trump must of donated an IPAD to it

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Firefox nightly is shaping up really good on Wayland and works rather well.

Things I miss in Wayland:
        • Chromium
        Chromium is usable on Wayland. And that's the real Chromium on Wayland, not XWayland.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
          Isn't this very specific to Gnome, and not Wayland in general?
          Gnome is what people use. For all practical intents and purposes, Wayland problems means Gnome on Wayland problems. Focusing on Wayland in general and leaving Gnome out of the scope would thus largely miss the point and would only benefit a very small percentage of Linux users. It's as if Mozilla announced a program to improve Firefox that would improve the experience of all three users who read some very obscure websites, but do nothing about fixing hypothetical problems with Youtube, Google and Netflix.

Comment

Reading the blog post about game problems ; it seems that for now, basic functionality like rendering at your desired rez is not supported on Wayland. WTF? If Gnome devs are serious about getting their env successful on the desktop, they will have to wake up a bit about what users need. I tried the Wayland session a few times since it was set as default by Fedora but I was quick each time to set my setting back to X. Clearly not ready. I'll try it again next Fedora release.

Also quite curious about how they will try to accommodate VR support under Wayland. Valve is making a lot of good work with Steam but Gnome should at least make it easy for them to be performing well.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
              jacob I think you are right about peope(users) but it’s hard to quantify. It’s much easier to get a good understanding of what developers use. And that’s almost exclusively Fedora or Ubuntu. So yeah..
              I think it's safe to say that Wayland and/or Gnome developers generally use Fedora. Institutional Linux desktop users use almost exclusively Ubuntu. The formers are the ones who tackle this type of problems and the latter are the ones whom they are doing it for. The rest of the Linux desktop community isn't likely to put in much effort in that direction and even less to pay for it. Cynical? Maybe. But realistic.

Comment

Originally posted by sheepdestroyer View Post
                Reading the blog post about game problems ; it seems that for now, basic functionality like rendering at your desired rez is not supported on Wayland. WTF?
                I think you are confusing rendering to something else. You can render just fine with whatever resolution you want but there is no API for that software to change desktop resolution. User can set it before entering the game and that should just work but it is awkward. Even if desktop resolution remains as is, there is no requirement for the game to do rendering at full resolution. Instead it can render and scale before presenting. That's not optimal though and there is a better solution coming. With a new protocol, also mentioned in the gaming blog post, the software can have the compositor to accept smaller buffers and instruct it to scale it up. Then it can be done with hardware without extra blit operation. If there was no other content on screen then the buffer could be displayed "as is" but that requires some extra work and someone would need to be willing to implement it.
                Last edited by Tomin; 23 May 2019, 02:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
                  You sure you use Linux? lol
                  Yes, everyday!
                  Chromium for some sites, but mostly Firefox.
                  GIMP for my image editing.
                  Atom and Visual Studio Code for development, mostly VS Code though.
                  Discord for gaming.
                  Skype not so much nowadays.
                  I really like the Synaptic package manager.

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                  Chromium is usable on Wayland. And that's the real Chromium on Wayland, not XWayland.
                  I've had more success with Firefox than Chromium on Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by sheepdestroyer View Post
                    Also quite curious about how they will try to accommodate VR support under Wayland. Valve is making a lot of good work with Steam but Gnome should at least make it easy for them to be performing well.
                    Gnome / Mutter / Compositor / VM / X11 / Wayland are not used in VR - SteamVR uses direct rendering to the HMD display for performance reasons. The only time X11 / Wayland get involved is that SteamVR needs to ask X11 / Wayland for direct screen access. SteamVR is indeed aware of Wayland - however, it can't yet ask for direct screen access on Wayland as it can on X11 - as the patches for Wayland haven't been merged yet.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                      I've had more success with Firefox than Chromium on Wayland.
                      I don't believe.

Default Firefox and Chromium builds published by any distribution do not enable Wayland.

Comment

Working...
                      X