Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems Being Investigated Under Wayland Itches Program, Including Gaming Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

This has never worked for me. Tried it again just now. Downloaded Firefox Nightly, set GDK_BACKEND=wayland and launched Nightly. It's still running through xwayland. Why?
    I'm actually running firefox stable in wayland, the default FF67 provided by Ubuntu in their apt repos. Do not use GDK_BACKEND=wayland however, this will cause trouble with some apps as launched from FF (eg when you open a downloaded file from it). Use MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 instead.

It works pretty well. The only issue I've come across so far is a crash when running in sway and outputs change (eg when waking up external displays).

Comment

Does command like this one work with Wayland? Wayland is useless for me if it doesn't work.
      Code:
      sudo -i -u other_user bash -l -c "/usr/bin/any_gui_app"
      Last edited by JS987; 23 May 2019, 08:56 AM.

Comment

It won't work on native apps. This is a security feature, apparently. On XWayland apps, you need to allow anybody connecting to X, via `xhost +`. You might want to make that xhost command a lot less permissive though.

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
          Does command like this one work with Wayland? Wayland is useless for me if it doesn't work.
          Code:
          sudo -i -u other_user bash -l -c "/usr/bin/any_gui_app"
          It doesn't by design. Wayland is designed to not allow programs that are not executed under your user to display things on your screen by default.

For XWayland, you can use the xhost command to give permissions, however. Compositors in the future should hopefully display a message like "Program X wants to display stuff, allow? Yes / No / Always", kinda like Android permissions stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post

I'm actually running firefox stable in wayland, the default FF67 provided by Ubuntu in their apt repos. Do not use GDK_BACKEND=wayland however, this will cause trouble with some apps as launched from FF (eg when you open a downloaded file from it). Use MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 instead.

It works pretty well. The only issue I've come across so far is a crash when running in sway and outputs change (eg when waking up external displays).
            I've got both of those environment variables set now. Tried to launch Nightly again, and nope, still xwayland. Same goes for FF66 from Debian repository. I run xeyes and move my pointer over Firefox's window, and xeyes starts tracking the pointer which doesn't happen over native Wayland apps.

Debian Sid and GNOME on Wayland.

Comment

I've got both of those environment variables set now. Tried to launch Nightly again, and nope, still xwayland. Same goes for FF66 from Debian repository. I run xeyes and move my pointer over Firefox's window, and xeyes starts tracking the pointer which doesn't happen over native Wayland apps.

Debian Sid and GNOME on Wayland.
              As I said, FF 67 from ubuntu (19.04) default repo.

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post
                As I said, FF 67 from ubuntu (19.04) default repo.
                I got it working now, but only on Nightly. Turns out that the environment variable was wiped as soon as I closed the terminal (that's not normal, is it?), so I launched Firefox from the same terminal and VoilĂ , it's working.

Comment

I got it working now, but only on Nightly. Turns out that the environment variable was wiped as soon as I closed the terminal (that's not normal, is it?), so I launched Firefox from the same terminal and VoilĂ , it's working.
                  Yep it's normal that it is wiped

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
                    figuring out how to support screencasting,
                    Can somebody tell me why aren't people aware of kmsgrab?!

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Fixed...
                      Nicely played.

I wonder when people in this forum begin to realize that some posters in this forum "live way out there where the buses don't run" and simply start ignoring them.

Comment

Working...
                      X