Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High Resolution Scroll Wheel Support Being Worked On For Wayland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • High Resolution Scroll Wheel Support Being Worked On For Wayland

    Phoronix: High Resolution Scroll Wheel Support Being Worked On For Wayland

    The high resolution scrolling support in Linux 5.0 has been a headache to say the least. After being ejected from Linux 4.20 following early fall-out, the support was merged for Linux 5.0 but the user-space support has yet to stabilize...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Res-Scrolling

  • #2
    So high resolution scrolling still hasn't arrived in user-space yet? That's good to know. I was considering buying one of those high resolution mice, but I don't really like the choices. However, it appears that the high resolution support is hard-coded into the kernel on a per-device basis, so it might not be a good idea to wait for the release of some new mouse.

    When you move from using Linux on a laptop to using Linux on a desktop, the scrollwheel is just awful. Especially without autoscroll. I'm really hoping that high resolution scrolling will fix that.

    Comment


    • #3
      Is it possible to disable/enable this high resolution scroll wheel feature?

      I mentioned it in a previous thread, but I think I'm having issues with the scroll wheel ever since the kernel 5.0 update where this was introduced. Occasionally, the scrolling becomes very slow, where it takes 3-8 wheel clicks or significant rotation of the wheel to scroll one step on a page. This started only after kernel 5.0, and it hasn't happened ever since I've booted back into kernel 4.20.

      I can restore normal behavior by turning the mouse off and on again... until the next time it happens, which is typically several times per day.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
        When you move from using Linux on a laptop to using Linux on a desktop, the scrollwheel is just awful. Especially without autoscroll. I'm really hoping that high resolution scrolling will fix that.
        If you miss a touchpad, is still possible using one on a desktop. There are some models, like the Logitech T650 or this Lenovo:

        https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...6074-_-Product

        Cannot say its guaranteed both work on Linux, but a internet search can answer that.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by blueweb View Post
          Is it possible to disable/enable this high resolution scroll wheel feature?

          I mentioned it in a previous thread, but I think I'm having issues with the scroll wheel ever since the kernel 5.0 update where this was introduced. Occasionally, the scrolling becomes very slow, where it takes 3-8 wheel clicks or significant rotation of the wheel to scroll one step on a page. This started only after kernel 5.0, and it hasn't happened ever since I've booted back into kernel 4.20.

          I can restore normal behavior by turning the mouse off and on again... until the next time it happens, which is typically several times per day.
          It depends of distribution and hardware but in my case (Fedora 29 + Logitech MX Master) Solaar probably resolved issue.

          Probably, because I'm not sure - I installed Solaar (sudo dnf install solaar) and tested it months ago and until recent update to kernel 5.0 everything was OK...

          After update to 5.0 - mouse wheel started to work ridiculously slow.

          I started solaar and I changed "Wheel Resolution" option from "Off" to "On". Rest of the settings I left unchanged (probably...) :

          High Resolution Wheel Invert: Off
          Wheel Resolution: On
          dpi: 1000
          Smart Shift: 16

          Now mouse wheel is working OK on Fedora with kernel 5.0. So if you have Logitech mouse - you should try solaar.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by [email protected] View Post

            If you miss a touchpad, is still possible using one on a desktop. There are some models, like the Logitech T650 or this Lenovo:

            https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...6074-_-Product

            Cannot say its guaranteed both work on Linux, but a internet search can answer that.
            I actually own that exact device already. K5923. I've had it for years, but don't ever use it because it's so terrible. They use some bad material for the touchpad surface that your finger doesn't slide smoothly on. And also, it presents itself to the computer as a mouse rather than a touchpad, just like every desktop touchpad I've ever seen. So if you try to scroll with it, the page jumps line by line like it would with a mouse.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
              I actually own that exact device already. K5923. I've had it for years, but don't ever use it because it's so terrible. They use some bad material for the touchpad surface that your finger doesn't slide smoothly on. And also, it presents itself to the computer as a mouse rather than a touchpad, just like every desktop touchpad I've ever seen. So if you try to scroll with it, the page jumps line by line like it would with a mouse.
              Apple's touchpad works fine/like a touchpad.
              I haven't tried the current model yet though, only the previous one.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Danniello View Post

                It depends of distribution and hardware but in my case (Fedora 29 + Logitech MX Master) Solaar probably resolved issue.

                Probably, because I'm not sure - I installed Solaar (sudo dnf install solaar) and tested it months ago and until recent update to kernel 5.0 everything was OK...

                After update to 5.0 - mouse wheel started to work ridiculously slow.

                I started solaar and I changed "Wheel Resolution" option from "Off" to "On". Rest of the settings I left unchanged (probably...) :

                High Resolution Wheel Invert: Off
                Wheel Resolution: On
                dpi: 1000
                Smart Shift: 16

                Now mouse wheel is working OK on Fedora with kernel 5.0. So if you have Logitech mouse - you should try solaar.
                Thanks for the reminder about solaar! I have it installed but haven't launched it in a while. I'm also on Fedora 29 and using a Logitech M720.

                Was the mouse wheel always slow after updating to kernel 5.0? For me it was normal and then suddenly becomes slow... not quite sure what the cause is. Maybe waking up after power saving idling.

                Even in kernel 4.20, solaar shows the "Wheel Resolution" option. "On" makes a big difference in scrolling speed/smoothness. Not sure if that option was there before. "Off" is the normal behavior I'm used to. The slow scrolling in 5.0 is far slower than the "Off" setting.

                I'll look into these settings next time I boot into 5.0. Thanks again!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by [email protected] View Post

                  If you miss a touchpad, is still possible using one on a desktop. There are some models, like the Logitech T650 or this Lenovo:

                  https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...6074-_-Product

                  Cannot say its guaranteed both work on Linux, but a internet search can answer that.
                  also Chugworth
                  I own a Logitech T650 and I can recommend it.
                  Opaque glass surface so you slide well, although it is cold to the touch, like a tablet (you may or may not like this), and is obviously more fragile than the average plastic touchpad.

                  It is detected as a touchpad here on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed with KDE (I can see it unlocks the "touchpad" settings panel).
                  It scrolls smoothly like a touchpad would, I can change touchpad settings and they actually do something.
                  Two-finger scrolling works fine both horizontal and vertical, can reverse the direction like a Mac.
                  Single finger, double finger, and three finger tapping works.
                  Edge scrolling does not seem to work anywhere near reliably, but I never liked it anyway so no big loss imho.

                  While the glass surface is as big as the whole upper surface, the actual touchpad surface ends at 0.5cm from the border on three sides, and on the "up" side (the one with the logitech logo) it ends 1 cm from the actual border. I don't usually notice this when using it, it's pretty big as it is, just for the sake of being though in this mini-review.

                  It is using a Unifying dongle like many of higher-end wireless Logitech devices, which means that if you lose the USB dongle you can buy a new one from china or Logitech themselves and just pair it again, plus you can pair other 5 additional Unifying devices (keyboard/mices) to the same USB dongle. This can be done on Linux too through Solaar application, and they are also supported by LFVS firmware updates on Linux.

                  I don't know if you need this if you use it only on Linux, but to use it like a touchpad on Windows you need to update its firmware https://support.logitech.com/en_us/p...#windowsPnlBar

                  On windows it is complete garbage without this firmware update as the factory firmware basically lacks any multi-touch functionality. I bought it only AFTER this update appeared, and I updated mine straight away.
                  Last edited by starshipeleven; 04-03-2019, 06:40 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    also Chugworth
                    I own a Logitech T650 and I can recommend it.
                    Opaque glass surface so you slide well, although it is cold to the touch, like a tablet (you may or may not like this), and is obviously more fragile than the average plastic touchpad.

                    It is detected as a touchpad here on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed with KDE (I can see it unlocks the "touchpad" settings panel).
                    It scrolls smoothly like a touchpad would, I can change touchpad settings and they actually do something.
                    Two-finger scrolling works fine both horizontal and vertical, can reverse the direction like a Mac.
                    Single finger, double finger, and three finger tapping works.
                    Edge scrolling does not seem to work anywhere near reliably, but I never liked it anyway so no big loss imho.

                    While the glass surface is as big as the whole upper surface, the actual touchpad surface ends at 0.5cm from the border on three sides, and on the "up" side (the one with the logitech logo) it ends 1 cm from the actual border. I don't usually notice this when using it, it's pretty big as it is, just for the sake of being though in this mini-review.

                    It is using a Unifying dongle like many of higher-end wireless Logitech devices, which means that if you lose the USB dongle you can buy a new one from china or Logitech themselves and just pair it again, plus you can pair other 5 additional Unifying devices (keyboard/mices) to the same USB dongle. This can be done on Linux too through Solaar application, and they are also supported by LFVS firmware updates on Linux.

                    I don't know if you need this if you use it only on Linux, but to use it like a touchpad on Windows you need to update its firmware https://support.logitech.com/en_us/p...#windowsPnlBar

                    On windows it is complete garbage without this firmware update as the factory firmware basically lacks any multi-touch functionality. I bought it only AFTER this update appeared, and I updated mine straight away.
                    Good to know it works well on Linux. But since is not produced anymore (or at last is not on Logitech's website), some sellers are asking a lot of money for one. So is good to keep a eye on Ebay till something new and cheap appears.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X