No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Will Default To The X.Org Stack, Not Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i dont want to use another DE, I tried. gnome.. it's something i want to burn with fire. Mate is gnome 2, something i could never completely relate to. KDE won't make me use office 2007 windows properly under wine, both kde4 and kde5, and they are very resource intensive. In my office we've been using xubuntu lts with success for the last 3 years, and besides some very small problems related to wine, it never gave us any problems with stability or breakage, we tryed kubuntu, we could not get fast enough even if the features were nice, it was way too bugged. Gonna try again with 18.04
    Last edited by sireangelus; 17 February 2018, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Gnome 2/Mate and XFCE are pretty close to each other. Anyway both of them and KDE too allow to disable the compositor, for one thing. So the way graphics are done can be kept "dumb" esp. if you don't care about shadows and tearing when windows are moved (really, I couldn't care less about such a minor thing). So, things can work with very slow graphics, remote, VM, no worry about an opengl crash..

KDE has had the reputation of indexing files and whatever "things", sort of like Windows Vista?
      So, a bit of anxiety about having to disable that kind of stuff. Perhaps I'd even disable file thumbnails (you can do that in Mate for example if you really want, that's a bit backwards but.. browsing files gets very fast, like computers used to do 20 years ago.)

Xorg with XFCE will be worry-free anyway.
      Maybe KDE, and lxqt will be nice to try in Ubuntu 20.04.
      In conclusion I wish you a happy and fulfilling two years.
      Last edited by grok; 17 February 2018, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X