• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tuxee View Post

It works perfectly ok under Wayland. You have heard of this
    Code:
    xhost +si:localuser:root
    trick, haven't you? And if you don't want to re-type it every time you could add it as script to your startup scripts.
    Of course. But at 54 I'm done phreaklng and geeking. I've got the DOS 1.0-4.0, MSX, Sinclair, Commodore 64 and 128, Apple II and even VAX Mainframe scars to show for it.

If you force users to go command line you've failed. That goes for the Wayland guys, the Synaptic guys and the distro guys. It's not like anyone hasn't seen this coming for a while. Kinda like Flash sites refusing to rewrite in HTML5.

Fortunately there's an easy and stable solution. Log in as X.org.

The command line should be used only because you WANT to....never because you HAVE to.

Comment

the incrible thing is xwayland performes worst than xmir

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
        the incrible thing is xwayland performes worst than xmir
        Last time I tested Unity 8 with Mir on 17.04 it was noticeably smoother than Wayland on 17.10, videos with community version of Unity 8 and latest Mir, one in 60 FPS:

testing the latest mir with unity8 on xenialinstall script here https://github.com/ubports/unity8-desktop-install-toolsthis is very early, so expect bugs and...

Ubuntu Unity8 60FPS test so yeah.. i moved my old HDD into a bit faster PC and wanted to test screencasting full hd at 60fps. seems to be ok most of the time...

Wayland is still far from replacing X.org on the desktop, it has mouse input lag, issues with video playing performance etc on Nouveau driver I tested it with.

Comment

Well, moving windows here was buttery smooth with KWin Wayland @75Hz and the mouse cursor wasn't freezing either. Those are Gnome Wayland shortcomings, not general Wayland shortcomings.

Does anybody know when XWayland will support more than 60fps? For example, scrolling in Xorg browser window runs with 60fps while KWin Wayland can also run with more (unlike Mutter). Having a 60fps window inside 75Hz compositing is just very ugly and stuttery. This also means that I can't enjoy games with 75Hz and XWayland. What a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            Come to think about it, I haven't had an X server crash on me in years... I think it's highly telling that with a Gnome Shell interface the reason for sticking with xorg is that it recovers from crashes better. It's nearly a miracle that it -can- crash an X server. You almost have to misconfigure it on purpose to crash it. Basically ever since Xorg was forked from xfree86 and xorg was configured for automated detection.... It's really hard to crash for a long time.
            We are going to replace Xorg because it's obsolete and originally designed with features that nobody uses for ages, while all the good features modern X uses were inherently bolted on as extensions. You are correct, after 30 years of development Xorg doesn't crash as much as it used to and you don't even have to spend afternoon with setting it up and handwriting entire xorg.conf just so that your input and monitor works like you used to in early 00's.

If you are actually interested in what wayland offers that X doesn't and vice versa watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWQh_DmDLKQ .
            It's bit dated but key points still apply and it's presented very well by a guy that knows what he is talking about.
            Last edited by Guest; 26 January 2018, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
              It is still in people heads, please tell me who uses it by his will and is not developer?
              What?

This september it will be 10 years since its initial release, time flies really. It is OLD, 10 years of trolling about that boxed GL design
              False. 2012 would make it 5 - 6 years old.

Comment

Am I the only one who read through the article thoroughly enough to notice that Michael wrote "Will Cookie" instead of "Cooke"?

Comment

Originally posted by DannyM93 View Post
                  Am I the only one who read through the article thoroughly enough to notice that Michael wrote "Will Cookie" instead of "Cooke"?
                  Heh, thanks. Fixed.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

a good reason to transit to KDe which will implement wayland as default since the 18.04 release

Comment

a smart move by Marky boy not to make it Default in there LTS. , Wayland has a long way to go till its even usable as a Default , even Redhat wont make it Default in RHEL8. my guess it wont be made default till atleast RHEL9 or 10

Comment

Working...
                      X