No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Linux Vulkan Performance vs. RADV / AMDGPU-PRO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe that Average Joe comparisons so what he found in distro and just run that, than some Gentoo user who just compiled everthing to the today's commits with who knows what broken flags maybe even -Ofast

Comment

It is even more amazing to me is that 15.9 does not actually have dota profile, so that is faster then mesa 12 while not being even profiled yet

Well it is better to run amdgpu against amdgpu-pro these days anyway... but also some next 16.40 based and real new, so that comparison will be on both up to date

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
        There as i see is 4.5.13399 which is Catalyst 15.9 so more then year old something, against still 12 release of mesa and still default radeon driver for CIK... so i see that as all correct not pushed over comparison
        What you see it as doesn't really matter to me, though. I only care about my own opinion.

Also, you were making comparisons and drawing conclusions as if only 1 variable (the hardware) had changed, when that wasn't the case. 2 variables had changed, meaning it's not valid to assume that 1 of them is responsible for the result you were seeing.

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
          Love em or hate em, NVIDIA has the best graphics engineering team in the world.
          They're good if you only care about performance.
          Personally I care about freedom and security too, more than performance, so fuck them for being assholes.

Comment

Hardware is the same, Kaveri APU there and drivers are Catalyst 15.9 vs then in august current mesa 12.0.1 release.

So user compared two driver releases at the time and conclusion comes from results he get, i dunno what is more valid that that

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post
              So the main take-away here: Nvidia's OpenGL-Drivers are still superior in this particular benchmark (as in most others) and has less overhead when things become CPU-limited,
              when it is cpu-limited it is superior for less than 10% and there is no use for this superiority since any driver gives more than 60 fps
              Originally posted by GruenSein View Post
              Mesa is close to the AMD proprietary driver in OpenGL
              i don't know where you get that from, in this article mesa is faster than blob

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
                While there is still work to be done on radv, it's getting there rather quickly, and I expect "Red Team" to join the effort sooner than later.
                nice imagination, but no, windows red team can't join effort with linux-only driver

Comment

This article makes me want to keep my 780 GTX because I still don't have a 4K screen. So badly want a 4K screen right now.... In fact I want 3 of them. Then I think a 1080 might not be enough heh...

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    nice imagination, but no, windows red team can't join effort with linux-only driver
                    Would you care to provide a bit more details? Mesa is Linux-only, as far as I know, and there are quite a lot of developers already working on it.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
                      Would you care to provide a bit more details? Mesa is Linux-only, as far as I know, and there are quite a lot of developers already working on it.
                      My bad, I didn't see the "windows" bit. "Red Team" here meant "AMD" in reply to the quoted post.
                      Oh, and DAL developers apparently didn't work on Linux before this effort.

Comment

Working...
                      X