Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vulkan 1.0 Released: What You Need To Know About This Cross-Platform, High-Performance Graphics API

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by azari View Post

Just because something uses the same engine, it doesn't mean they will go through all the pain of testing the new engine with all their old games and fixing all the bugs that come up.
    If the engines haven't had too much changed in the renderer between SS3 and talos, then it should be fairly trivial to "port" over the changes made to talos. If they can get it done with less than 100 man hours of time, and in turn get a few hundred extra sales because of the increased linux performance (and hopefully performance to surpass dx11 on windows when they get to "part 2" and "part 3" of their vulkan plan), then it would be a win for them.
    They still push updates to SS3, and having it be the same engine code-base as talos would make maintenance updates easier.
    Last edited by roboman2444; 17 February 2016, 03:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by azari View Post

Except that what matters isn't how many XP or Vista gamers are still out there; what matters is how many of those XP/Vista gamers have graphics cards that are capable of supporting Vulkan in the first place, like the GCN series in the case of AMD (or perhaps even HD 5000 & 6000 series).
      NVIDIA GeForce 600 series up through some of the GeForce 900 series support XP. AMD Radeon HD 7700 series through the Radeon R7 200 series support XP. I have known people who are more begrudging of upgrading Windows than their hardware. Who can say with certainly what hardware XP gamers have? Microsoft and Valve would be in a better position to know. But, again, this is tangential to my original post, which was not advocating Vulkan support on XP or Vista, but was fully accepting that Vulkan wouldn't make its way to XP or Vista, as that was my expectation to begin with. I found suggestion otherwise to be spurious.
      Last edited by eidolon; 17 February 2016, 03:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by eidolon View Post
        NVIDIA GeForce 600 series up through some of the GeForce 900 series support XP. AMD Radeon HD 7700 series through the Radeon R7 200 series support XP. I have known people who are more begrudging of upgrading Windows than their hardware. Who can say with certainly what hardware XP gamers have? Microsoft and Valve would be in a better position to know. But, again, this is tangential to my original post, which was not advocating Vulkan support on XP or Vista, but was fully accepting that Vulkan wouldn't make its way to XP or Vista, as that was my expectation to begin with. I found suggestion otherwise to be spurious.
        I know it was a tangent, I wasn't suggesting you were advocating Vulkan on XP, I was just pointing out that I don't expect there really are many XP users (that upgrade their drivers regularly) left regardless; my guess is precisely that AMD, Nvidia, and Intel probably have access to Microsoft's data, as well as Valve's Steam data, and have probably judged that even if they released drivers for XP/Vista, few would use those drivers since those people probably don't upgrade their software very often (only when buying new PCs maybe), and many may not even have Vulkan-capable hardware in the first place.

Comment

Hmm as expected, AMD has nothing to show on launch day. It would have been a nice surprise for once but oh well ...

Anyway I hope they get things working when ZEN APUs hit the market (my intended next upgrade).

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post

It's not a game it's nvidia's vulkan demo:
            https://github.com/nvpro-samples/gl_vk_chopper

Thanks now how to compile? I get this:

michael@michael-ubuntu:/media/michael/DATA/gl_vk_chopper-master$ cmake
            Usage

cmake [options] <path-to-source>
            cmake [options] <path-to-existing-build>

Specify a source directory to (re-)generate a build system for it in the
            current working directory. Specify an existing build directory to
            re-generate its build system.

Run 'cmake --help' for more information.

michael@michael-ubuntu:/media/michael/DATA/gl_vk_chopper-master$ cmake .
            -- The C compiler identification is GNU 5.2.1
            -- The CXX compiler identification is GNU 5.2.1
            -- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc
            -- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc -- works
            -- Detecting C compiler ABI info
            -- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
            -- Detecting C compile features
            -- Detecting C compile features - done
            -- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++
            -- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++ -- works
            -- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
            -- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
            -- Detecting CXX compile features
            -- Detecting CXX compile features - done
            -- -------------------------------
            -- Processing Project gl_vk_chopper-master:
            CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:27 (INCLUDE):
            include could not find load file:

/media/michael/DATA/gl_vk_chopper-master/../shared_sources/CMakeLists_include.txt

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:28 (add_subdirectory):
            add_subdirectory given source
            "/media/michael/DATA/gl_vk_chopper-master/../shared_sources" which is not
            an existing directory.

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:31 (_add_project_definitions):
            Unknown CMake command "_add_project_definitions".

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
            See also "/media/michael/DATA/gl_vk_chopper-master/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
            michael@michael-ubuntu:/media/michael/DATA/gl_vk_chopper-master$

Thanks

Comment

When you have
              /media/michael/DATA/gl_vk_chopper-master/
              you also need https://github.com/nvpro-samples/shared_sources in
              /media/michael/DATA/shared_sources

Also the binaries will not be inside the repository (that would be expected), but it will be in
              /media/michael/DATA/bin_x64

Comment

Originally posted by Pecisk View Post
                And people wonder why sometimes open source community is viewed as toxic, lots of cheers on this board... First, AMD are in the middle of their driver restructuring....as long as they give clear timeline of providing Vulkan drivers, it's really not that big deal. Missed PR opportunity? Get a grip, this is no iPhone/Samsung S6 contest. Intel links will get fixed, because we know driver exists. Nvidia proprietary BS? Just a few extensions to help developers. It is up to devs to level the game. Vendors have to do their part.
                exactly. it is sometimes toxic. sometimes. and sometimes working in closed source teams is also be toxic. but then it more often stays behind closed doors / is not that openly communicated as within FOSS. I think in the long run the more or less transparent communication of FOSS communities is healthier because it tends to be more honest.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post

exactly. it is sometimes toxic. sometimes. and sometimes working in closed source teams is also be toxic. but then it more often stays behind closed doors / is not that openly communicated as within FOSS. I think in the long run the more or less transparent communication of FOSS communities is healthier because it tends to be more honest.
                  Overreacting is not being honest. Well balanced opinions in FOSS world is still rarity. Granted, in closed enviroments there's sometimes nothing at all. Doesn't mean it should be balls to wall shouting/panic fest I see these days on forums.

Comment

Overreacting is not being honest.
                    how is holding back more honest?

Well balanced opinions in FOSS world is still rarity. Granted, in closed enviroments there's sometimes nothing at all. Doesn't mean it should be balls to wall shouting/panic fest I see these days on forums.
                    I read all the forum posts during the last day too. The majority seemed reasonable to me.
                    And how did you assess that balanced opinions are rare? It might just be that the overreacting parts are perceived to be the majority because they are louder.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
                      It would be nice if anybody could play with a GPU emulator before the actual GPU hardware is released. Maybe this is something that is bound to happen in the long-term future, because the open-source drivers might be ready when the GPU is released, or even better the drivers might be ready before the GPU hardware is released.
                      Now that amdgpu has replaced the Catalyst Linux kernel driver for new GPU support we're going to be bringing new GFX generations up on the emulators (using the amdgpu stack) before we have silicon in house; partly to get code running sooner and partly to make sure we have a chance to feed issues back into the HW team before tapeout. We're actually working on that for a next-gen GPU right now (the one after Polaris 10/11).

Ian's FOSDEM talk suggested that Intel is doing something similar already.

None of this gets emulator access extended to the community outside the HW vendors but since we both have in-house devs working as part of the community it should have the same effect.
                      Last edited by bridgman; 17 February 2016, 10:34 AM.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X