Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smartalgorithm View Post
    and what this will give?
    Presumably, more power efficient and faster rendering.

Comment

oiaohm Maybe the issue is not stuff like Xorg and OGL, but the person who uses it (i.e. you)?
      Because it apparently works fine for others...

Comment

Using Vulkan for the desktop is the future. Hope the the fixes will be upstreamed so that we can test it as well. I remember there was a Kwin Vulkan branch frome Fredrik Höglund, but it was not followed up since years. Anyway, hope a full Plasma/Kwin Vulkan desktop becomes reality soon :-)

Comment

So...

Maybe major DEs (GNOME, KDE...) wil use Vulkan before 2023? Things are slow, I want to get rid of OpenGL compositing.

Wayland+Vulkan possible?

What's so difficult about Vulkan for KWin?

What about Vulkan for Mutter?

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
            No Plasma 5. Ploppers! Why not enable the option if that's where this 'tech demo' is being tested?
            there is a long way between "hey check out this cool thing I did" and "ok, this is ready for the masses" - for example wayland entered with kwin 5.4 - it *might* be production ready with 5.20

Comment

Danny3 if i remember correctly the one in the news has a few more tests to pass. plus there are more than just one version of vulkan. i have no clue which version that drive is aiming for and the one kde will use. plus there is no guarantee that the vulkan will be any better than gl on pi. well, i'm still waiting for the news when pi 4 will be able to play youtube at 4k30/60fps without dropping frames

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                So... Maybe major DEs (GNOME, KDE...) wil use Vulkan before 2023? Things are slow, I want to get rid of OpenGL compositing.
                The raw GPU performance enabled by Vulkan (over OpenGL) will only marginally benefit desktops or 2D applications in general (see libreoffice). KDE/Gnome with Vulkan won't achieve LXDE speeds on low-end HW.

Wayland+Vulkan possible?
                Yes and it may be the only way to get reasonable Wayland Nvidia support.

What's so difficult about Vulkan for KWin?
                What about Vulkan for Mutter?
                Nothing, just a lot of work and need for testing.
                Last edited by mppix; 21 September 2020, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                  This is wonderful!
                  With the latest advancements of Linux Vulkan drivers I dream of the day when I can use KDE Plasma on Raspberry pi with good performance.
                  .. on RPI6

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                    oiaohm Maybe the issue is not stuff like Xorg and OGL, but the person who uses it (i.e. you)?
                    Because it apparently works fine for others...
                    Valve found this doing a broad range of testing. Some of the bugs they were locating are like 1 in million chance of end user hitting them.

Interesting enough a lot of people will say they have functional vsync but when you get to someone like valve doing the inspection of every frame it will be like 1 in 20000 frames with a issue. Valve standard for working right is that it works right 100 percent of the time. 99.999% is not good enough. So I would say you have your vsync with Xorg and OGL to what you call passable not what is in fact right aufkrawall.

Please note I was not kidding about using vulkan compositor to bash opengl application into behaving there are many game engines where you need to give fake vsync information so they in fact function right because a lot of parties could not get vsync handling right.

Comment

I can only tell you that I have starred for many minutes in a row at vsynctester.com vsync indicator several times over a longer time frame, and never did it show any intermediate stutter with kwin-lowlatency/Picom and xf86-video-amdgpu.

Comment

Working...
                      X