RADV Reworking Pipeline Emitting To Improve CPU Usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Quite the opposite, really... it exists in order to support a bunch of other OS/API combinations.
    Doesn't that exactly equal bloat on linux? Linux is not "other OS/API combinations"

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Doesn't that exactly equal bloat on linux? Linux is not "other OS/API combinations"
      Bloat is one of those terms that gets thrown around so much it's meaningless - or rather, it means something different to everyone. It's unlikely it actually makes any difference in terms of performance, if that's what you're asking. But there's certainly extra code there that wouldn't have to be just for the linux release.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Bloat is one of those terms that gets thrown around so much it's meaningless - or rather, it means something different to everyone. It's unlikely it actually makes any difference in terms of performance, if that's what you're asking. But there's certainly extra code there that wouldn't have to be just for the linux release.
        Bloat can impact performance in many ways, CPU overhead, memory usage, reduced instruction cache residency. Having a whole extra level of wrapping between vulkan app and where the bits go in the command buffer is most definitely not optimal.

Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
          While only one API is using the code on Linux, yes.

Ask me again in a couple of months.
          Last edited by bridgman; 29 January 2018, 09:53 PM.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post

Bloat can impact performance in many ways, CPU overhead, memory usage, reduced instruction cache residency. Having a whole extra level of wrapping between vulkan app and where the bits go in the command buffer is most definitely not optimal.

Dave.
            I know that compilers are both magical and not magical at the same time - would the compiler be able to remove some of that overhead of the extra layers?

Comment

I get excited everytime I see RADV fixes, hoping for fixes for Wolfenstein 2

Today is not that day

Comment

Mesa does support multiple OS APIs though...that was one of the main architectural goals of gallium3d AMD has even had a Windows CE driver based on gallium at one point as far as how much that branch of the code has rotted incannot say but it own on that still as far as I know.

Comment

While only one API is using the code on Linux, yes.

Hinting at something? API?

Comment

It's not there so much for AMDVLK itself - it's there in order to let one set of core code support a number of different OS/API combinations.
                    This discussion was a bit funny because I know both of you knew you were saying the same thing from different point of views

Comment

Originally posted by Darknation View Post
                      Hinting at something? API?
                      Let me make a wild guess: ROCm and OpenCL on the latest Vega will also use the same PAL ?

Comment

Working...
                      X