X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adarion
    replied
    Originally posted by devius View Post

Well, if you consider 10fps playable. And that is on a AMD 5x86 133MHz, the top of the line 486. On a more common DX2 66MHz or DX4 100MHz the framerate is even lower. Quake was really meant as a Pentium game, and even on a Pentium 133MHz it only averages about 27fps (which was considered playable back then). I'm not making up these numbers BTW. I tested Quake on these systems a few months ago.
    I was running original Quake on my 486 DX2/66, 8 MiB RAM, 1 MB VRAM PCI dGPU. It was playable. Really low resolution and everything but it was running and I also had CD audio. The first mission pack required ~40 MiB RAM, so that would not run and I think that was also CPU wise no longer really playable.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    This was a lot more disappointing than I expected.  Perhaps the low clock speeds became too much of a burden? Michael: You should also try testing a GPU like a GT 630, 620, 440, 430, or 240, if you have any of those on hand.  Those have 96 CUDA cores and ought to be very close GPU analogues.  They may have more cores but they also have lower clock speeds and are designed for graphics tasks.  I get the impression AMD/ATI GPUs have shorter pipelines, which is why I don't think any of those would be as good of a test.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    What kind of cpu usage were you seeing? Did it use any more than 8 cpu cores, for example?

Leave a comment:

• Kamikaze
    replied
    Originally posted by wdb974 View Post

I remember changing the settings to full software rendering in UT '99 because of an OpenGL issue.
    I think UT'04 even had a software renderer! Perhaps that was the last AAA shooter to have one?

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by DMJC View Post
    What's the raytracing performance like on this sort of hardware? I mean it's an old technique, surely the performance gains since the early 1990s have been vast.
    Intel was talking up realtime raytracing, in the days prior to Larrabee's cancellation. They even demo'd a ray-tracing mod of some quake version (3?) running on Skulltrail (dual-processor Core 2 Quad).

Intel demonstrates real time ray tracing on an eight core system.For more on the latest PC and gaming, check out http://www.bit-tech.net/Visit our Facebook p...

Most recently, Imagination was pushing realtime raytracing. Too bad they've fallen on hard times.

A revolutionary 3D graphics technology that mimics how light behaves in the real world to create visuals with astonishing realism.

I was hoping realtime raytracing would be the next big feature of Apple iProducts (I don't own one, but them doing it might bring along the rest of the industry). But they're no longer going to use Imagination GPUs, so... probably not.
    Last edited by coder; 27 August 2017, 07:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by devius View Post
    Quake was really meant as a Pentium game, and even on a Pentium 133MHz it only averages about 27fps (which was considered playable back then). I'm not making up these numbers BTW. I tested Quake on these systems a few months ago.
    At what resolution? I had a Pentium 75 and I'm sure my average framerate was somewhere in the 20's. I'd have been using something around 320x200 (or 320x240, since it was co-developed by Michael Abrash, who discovered/popularized that mode).

Anyway, all this talk of Quake is irrelevant, given how much more sophisticated graphics APIs and game engines have become. But it was impressive what they managed to achieve, back in the day.

Leave a comment:

• arjan_intel
    replied
    Originally posted by DMJC View Post
    What's the raytracing performance like on this sort of hardware? I mean it's an old technique, surely the performance gains since the early 1990s have been vast.
    the number of pixels (kind of square with resolution) has grown a lot too in that time....

Leave a comment:

• devius
    replied
    Originally posted by blacknova View Post
    True, though Quake was (relatively) playable even on 486 dx2-66,
    Right... if you consider 6fps playable.

Originally posted by blacknova View Post
    ...to run it smoothly at least at 320x200 Pentium 60 were needed.
    Better, but you're still looking at about 14fps only.

Leave a comment:

• DMJC
    replied

Leave a comment:

• eydee
    replied
    This server should be used for hosting Phoronix, so it doesn't crash every time AMD releases something.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X