No announcement yet.

The Big Changes, Improvements Of Mesa 17.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They shouldn't have changed to this dumb new version naming system. The old one was good, and I honestly find it easier to grasp. They shouldn't change what was never broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Electric-Gecko View Post
      They shouldn't have changed to this dumb new version naming system. The old one was good, and I honestly find it easier to grasp. They shouldn't change what was never broken.
      I don't understand, why the new "naming system" is dumb? They just skipped a few numbers and decided that major number is incremented every year. New releases will happen every few months as before and they don't have to come up with new milestones, which would be hard now that OpenGL is sort of done.

Comment

So, one question
        Since Mesa 17 have now full OGL 4.5 on radeon SI, it means that, there is no extention left to make to be on-pair with the AMD GPUPRO?
        From now on forward it will optimization only on the OpenGL side?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

They should have just called it version "apple-slash-red5-slash-27," just to screw with people who care about version numbers. Who cares?
          Just to make that clear - my post was meant ironically.

Apple-Slash would be a nice version name. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by ObscureAngelPT View Post
            So, one question
            Since Mesa 17 have now full OGL 4.5 on radeon SI, it means that, there is no extention left to make to be on-pair with the AMD GPUPRO?
            From now on forward it will optimization only on the OpenGL side?

Cheers
            That's not true. There are extensions that are not part of the core GL specs that the Mesa driver could still add - bindless textures, for example. Check out near the bottom of this list: https://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/me...s/features.txt

It does mean, though, that now games should mostly work as they shouldn't be relying on non-core functionality or GL context versions that are higher than Mesa supports.

Comment

Working...
            X