Chrome Rendering Pipeline Improvements For Better Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
    That's not true, I'm watching videos with a Chromium-vaapi from AUR on Radeon HD5730, works fine.
    Did you check video_decoder field on chrome://media-internals page while playback? What you see here?

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
      Did you check video_decoder field on chrome://media-internals page while playback? What you see here?
      It says "GpuVideoDecoder". I can say that it uses VAAPI because for I'm playing a video, I see the same output from chromium as from `vainfo` command, i.e. about va-driver, version, opening the lib.
      Last edited by Hi-Angel; 01 February 2017, 01:15 AM. Reason: s/chrome/chromium

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

Agree, that's exactly the problem.
        If that's the problem, then how come this is enabled by default on ChromeOS? Last time I checked ChromeOS *is* Linux. See:
        http://www.ghacks.net/2017/01/31/chr...-not-tell-you/
        "This sounds all good and great, but Google fails to mention that the second method is not supported by all operating systems, and even architectures. If you follow the link to Intel's blog post about the new zero-copy feature, you will learn that the feature is only enabled by default on Chrome OS"
        Last edited by Vistaus; 01 February 2017, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
          It says "GpuVideoDecoder". I can say that it uses VAAPI because for I'm playing a video, I see the same output from chromium as from `vainfo` command, i.e. about va-driver, version, opening the lib.
          Good to know! I stand corrected.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

If that's the problem, then how come this is enabled by default on ChromeOS? Last time I checked ChromeOS *is* Linux. See:
            http://www.ghacks.net/2017/01/31/chr...-not-tell-you/
            "This sounds all good and great, but Google fails to mention that the second method is not supported by all operating systems, and even architectures. If you follow the link to Intel's blog post about the new zero-copy feature, you will learn that the feature is only enabled by default on Chrome OS"
            ChromeOS != Linux. I had to backport patches for months to be able to use h264 hardware acceleration on Linux, because Google didn't support it in mainline Chrome (while they had patches in their ChromeOS builds).
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

yeah, chromium-vaapi builds will work on Intel/AMD/nvidia, but you _still_ have to get special builds and (at least on Arch) they break pretty often and maintainers have to catch up. All to change like three flags in the source. I really, really, really wish they'd just enable this upstream on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

ChromeOS != Linux. I had to backport patches for months to be able to use h264 hardware acceleration on Linux, because Google didn't support it in mainline Chrome (while they had patches in their ChromeOS builds).
                Wrong. ChromeOS = Linux. It's based on vanilla Linux but uses some Gentoo tools like Portage: http://www.zdnet.com/article/the-sec...les-chrome-os/
                Last edited by Vistaus; 02 February 2017, 06:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Wrong. ChromeOS = Linux. It's based on vanilla Linux but uses some Gentoo tools like Portage: http://www.zdnet.com/article/the-sec...les-chrome-os/
                  No, they patch the graphic stack in many different ways and they also heavily patch Chrome itself. They care to test on ChromeOS but it takes ages to get the patches merged upstream.
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                  X