Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome Rendering Pipeline Improvements For Better Performance

Phoronix: Chrome Rendering Pipeline Improvements For Better Performance

Google developers have been investing in improvements to their rendering pipeline of Chrome in order to yield better performance, lower input latency, smoother scrolling, and more...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

the strange is that linux operating systems are just strong on HTLML5 because of opengl, Qtwebengine, vulkans, webgl, hardware implementation by openglES and other software that chrome appears to get its own advantages on the web browsing (except for qtwebengine obviously). Chromium should be just perfect for linux more than other platforms. Perhaps there are some difficult to implement the chrome instances by the MESA and or nvidia and ATI drivers. Or it is also the consequence of marketing purpose.

Comment

Not sure how long I stick with Firefox which not sees this improvements...

Comment

In this case I don't think it's an implementation issue for Linux (like GPU memory buffers on non-Wayland display servers), but a "we'd rather not enable this feature as we don't want to devote resources to making sure it's stable" issue (like hardware video decoding which _still_ isn't in upstream chromium Linux builds by default).

Comment

Originally posted by axfelix View Post
          In this case I don't think it's an implementation issue for Linux (like GPU memory buffers on non-Wayland display servers), but a "we'd rather not enable this feature as we don't want to devote resources to making sure it's stable" issue (like hardware video decoding which _still_ isn't in upstream chromium Linux builds by default).
          Agree, that's exactly the problem.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
            Moved away from Firefox long time ago, it's really pitty that Firefox under GNU/Linux does not offer same performance as in Windows (at least on my hw). It's also not nice from Google to "slow down" youtube website for example, in order to change your browser. For exmaple, for me, with Firefox it happens that youtube video go into "infinite buffering" mode, and whole website stops for some reason untill i refresh the page, on Chrome however, there's no such problem, what is more interesting that same thing happens to my friend on Windows. So problem for Firefox team is not just implementing features, but also fighting competition with monopoly and (maybe?) sneaky tactics.

Comment

I'm curious, what about Chrome OS, which is also kind of GNU/Linux distro.

Comment

All you guys bitching about Firefox seem to forget that Google has more money than God and can spend a metric crap ton on Chrome seeing as how they look at the browser AS the OS. It's JOB #1

JOB #2 is to make sure that YOU don't have as may extensions as Firefox does to KEEP GOOGLE FROM COMPLETELY SPYING ON YOU every time you click on Chrome because you are such an impatient little child.

On my Firefox 51.0.1 I have:

Disconnect
                Blu Hell Firewall
                Google Disconnect
                Twitter Disconnect
                Facebook Disconnect
                Webmail Disconnect
                Better Privacy
                Self Destructing Cookies
                Facebook Purity
                Decentraleyes

I am not tracked. I NEVER see ONE....SINGLE....AD. I don't have pop ups, pop downs, etc. NOTHING ! Any where I go. E..V..E..R.

Try that with Chrome.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
                  Firefox is catching up, but they're catching up from far behind. I'm hopeful that their project Quantum - to replace pieces of Gecko (the old rendering engine) with Servo (the new rendering engine) as Servo matures will help.

When I use the benchmarks at browserbench.org, from least to best I get Firefox on Linux (Ubuntu 16.04), Firefox on Windows, Chrome on Linux, Chrome on Windows, Edge. That's with all plugins disabled on all browsers.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
                    When I use the benchmarks at browserbench.org, from least to best I get Firefox on Linux (Ubuntu 16.04), Firefox on Windows, Chrome on Linux, Chrome on Windows, Edge. That's with all plugins disabled on all browsers.
                    Believe it or not, but I'm getting better performance on Chrome/Chromium on GNU/Linux compared to Windows, only Firefox works better on Windows. Different hardware - different results i guess.

Comment

Working...
                    X