AMD GPU-PRO Hybrid Linux OpenGL Performance vs. RadeonSI Gallium3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Yes, I'd like to know about Vulkan performance, too.
    But I guess before Michael can go there we need some, I don't know, working titles to benchmark? And not just 1 or 2. My guess is it will take a bout a year before we get there.

Will have some basic TTP Vulkan NV AMD tests tomorrow or so
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Will have some basic TTP Vulkan NV AMD tests tomorrow or so
      This should be interesting...

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        Why does that matter? Nobody should be using Catalyst.
        To see speed regressions? On my system 2D and 3D speed is regressed a lot with this new driver.
        For example Eclipse IDE is unusable with this new driver.

Comment

Hey, Quick question guys/gals. Does the hybrid driver avoid the Plymouth and blank screen issues that the catalyst and nvidia prop. drivers usually have due to no kernel module issue? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
            Hey, Quick question guys/gals. Does the hybrid driver avoid the Plymouth and blank screen issues that the catalyst and nvidia prop. drivers usually have due to no kernel module issue? Thanks.
            AMDGPU should fix that, the "pro" driver won't have anything to do with that (plymouth is just a boot screen right? It relies on KMS/DRM modesetting module in the kernel, not sure if amdgpu pretty sure amdgpu has drm support thus would support plymouth, similarly the old radeon open source drivers should support it, and the nvidia open source driver, and in a couple million years the nvidia closed source drivers too)

Pro Hybrid (silly name, fix it AMD!) is a userspace driver I think, just uses AMDGPU as a backend to interact with the hardware, it's something that doesn't kick in until after you boot.

And don't tell me AMDGPU doesn't have DRM plz, I will cri.
            Last edited by rabcor; 21 March 2016, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
              Pro Hybrid (silly name, fix it AMD!) is a userspace driver I think, just uses AMDGPU as a backend to interact with the hardware, it's something that doesn't kick in until after you boot.

And don't tell me AMDGPU doesn't have DRM plz, I will cri.
              I don't think we call it Pro Hybrid - officially it's the Pro driver, technically it's the hybrid driver.

*bridgman has a moment of doubt, checks release notes, confirms that the word hybrid does not appear... whew...

It doesn't have Digital Rights Management but it does have KMS
              Last edited by bridgman; 21 March 2016, 10:43 AM.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
                One game is already running on Vulkan. Talos Principle. However their vulkan renderer seems to be in a sorta alpha stage and they have a lot of work left to do. The below post was made by the dev. They have completed steps 1 out of 3 mentioned below.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/25751...1651559970/#p2
                This is simply POINTLESS. I want to know how AMD's Linux Vulkan performance compares to Nvidia's one. Period. I cannot care less for the engine's shape/performance since I'm not going to compare results with OpenGL ones.
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  It doesn't have Digital Rights Management but it does have KMS
                  What's the point of having a proprietary driver if it doesn't support DRM? In such case just trash the closed driver and develop only the open source one.
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by leonmaxx View Post

To see speed regressions? On my system 2D and 3D speed is regressed a lot with this new driver.
                    For example Eclipse IDE is unusable with this new driver.
                    Ok, but what about the horrible desktop tearing, and video tearing and 3d tearing? What about the horrible 2d performance? What about the laughing stock XvBM? I don't see how you could have standed using it for long enough to determine regressions?

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                      What's the point of having a proprietary driver if it doesn't support DRM? In such case just trash the closed driver and develop only the open source one.
                      Do you know what DRM is and what is does?

Comment

Working...
                      X