AMD GPU-PRO Hybrid Linux OpenGL Performance vs. RadeonSI Gallium3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

This is simply POINTLESS. I want to know how AMD's Linux Vulkan performance compares to Nvidia's one. Period. I cannot care less for the engine's shape/performance since I'm not going to compare results with OpenGL ones.

No need to compare, nVidia it is faster both on windows and Linux, to put it simply Gameworks(Apply to DX9-11 too btw), threading support and per game profile optimizations of shaders by nVidia and Gameworks.

Before you ask, no i won't expect neither the Pro driver or the OSS stack to implement anything above except for threading, simply because it pollutes the drivers to hell, is preferable to boycot game makers to fix their crap code instead.

But blah blah, market share, lol, nVidia blah blah, OMG? i don't care, i use Linux because things are done the way they should be and in the open, if you don't like it just use windows to game until vulkan is mature enough

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post

Do you know what DRM is and what is does?
      DRM are the only reason why AMD still needs a proprietary driver, otherwise they could simply use the FOSS driver alone. I don't care for DRM but I really don't understand why don't they simply drop the closed driver if not for supporting DRM.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I'm a bit confused with the new AMD's naming convention... r600, radeonsi, amdgpu, gpu-pro, gpu-pro hybrid, catalyst, gpuopen, crimson, ...
        To me, it's too much changes in a too short amount of time. They should simplify instead of complexify.

In the end, I can't even remember what is OSS and what isn't.

Comment

DRM are the only reason why AMD still needs a proprietary driver, otherwise they could simply use the FOSS driver alone. I don't care for DRM but I really don't understand why don't they simply drop the closed driver if not for supporting DRM.
          The pro driver supports OpenGL 4.5 and compatibility profiles. The open driver does not support 4.5 yet, and there are no plans for mesa in general to support compatibility profiles.

Comment

Digital Restrictions Management, not Direct Rendering Manager right?

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
              I'm a bit confused with the new AMD's naming convention... r600, radeonsi, amdgpu, gpu-pro, gpu-pro hybrid, catalyst, gpuopen, crimson, ...
              To me, it's too much changes in a too short amount of time. They should simplify instead of complexify.

In the end, I can't even remember what is OSS and what isn't.
              Yes this exactly! Crimson should have been the name for this stack! The status quo is that Crimson -is- Catalyst. What a waste of perfectly good market opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Digital Restrictions Management, not Direct Rendering Manager right?
                LOL obviously, why did you think about Direct Rendering Manager?
                ## VGA ##

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

The pro driver supports OpenGL 4.5 and compatibility profiles. The open driver does not support 4.5 yet, and there are no plans for mesa in general to support compatibility profiles.
                  4.5 is almost here and no one uses compatibility profiles. If the whole point is about compatibility profiles is it really better to duplicate half (since the kernel bits are the same) the efforts instead of simply adding compatibility profiles to mesa? Userspace is in common with Windows ok, but still...
                  ## VGA ##

Comment

LOL obviously, why did you think about Direct Rendering Manager?
                    Because that's a pun that bridgman made which apparently caused some confusion in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

I don't think we call it Pro Hybrid - officially it's the Pro driver, technically it's the hybrid driver.

*bridgman has a moment of doubt, checks release notes, confirms that the word hybrid does not appear... whew...

It doesn't have Digital Rights Management but it does have KMS

Thank you AMD. This is a step in the right direction. Soon enough we will have some "properly open source accelerated, fairly recent GPUs" for linux

Comment

Working...
                      X