Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Updated and Optimized Ubuntu Free Graphics Drivers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by elapsed View Post
    Fails on AMD also. Could it be another building issue with this repo or should I report it upstream?
    Yes, report the bugs upstream, I am not aware of PPA specific problems.

    Comment


    • Ubuntu 14.04

      Hello!
      I install Ubuntu 14.04 on my PC with ingegrated Intel HD Graphics 4600.
      I also add that PPA and update all packages. After that I have:

      $ glxinfo | grep OpenGL
      OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
      OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.4, 256 bits)
      OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 10.2.0-devel (git-678cf96 trusty-oibaf-ppa)
      OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
      OpenGL extensions:

      But I want to use a hardware rendering.
      How to do that?
      Thanks

      Comment


      • I don't know why, but system is not trying to load a i915_dri.so: http://paste.ubuntu.com/7066804/

        Comment


        • I just acquired a netbook with Radeon HD 6310. I was able to set up vdpau for deconding with the libvdpau-va-gl1 driver(followed by uncommenting the last two lines in the config file /etc/X11/Xsession.d/20vdpau-gl), but it has stopped working after todays update. Maybe libdrm-radeon has changed?

          A possiblly related question is where to get r600_drv_video.so?

          Code:
          $vainfo
          libva info: VA-API version 0.34.0
          libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
          libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/r600_drv_video.so
          libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
          vaInitialize failed with error code -1 (unknown libva error),exit
          Code:
          $ vdpauinfo
          display: :0.0   screen: 0
          [VS] Software VDPAU backend library initialized
          libva info: VA-API version 0.34.0
          libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
          libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/r600_drv_video.so
          libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
          API version: 1
          Information string: OpenGL/VAAPI/libswscale backend for VDPAU
          
          Video surface:
          
          name   width height types
          -------------------------------------------
          420     1920  1080  NV12 YV12 UYVY YUYV Y8U8V8A8 V8U8Y8A8 
          422     1920  1080  NV12 YV12 UYVY YUYV Y8U8V8A8 V8U8Y8A8 
          444     1920  1080  NV12 YV12 UYVY YUYV Y8U8V8A8 V8U8Y8A8 
          
          Decoder capabilities:
          
          name               level macbs width height
          -------------------------------------------
          
          Output surface:
          
          name              width height nat types
          ----------------------------------------------------
          B8G8R8A8             0     0    -  
          R8G8B8A8         32624 32624    -  
          R10G10B10A2      32624 32624    -  
          B10G10R10A2      32624 32624    -  
          A8               32624 32624    -  
          
          Bitmap surface:
          
          name              width height
          ------------------------------
          B8G8R8A8         16384 16384
          R8G8B8A8         16384 16384
          R10G10B10A2      16384 16384
          B10G10R10A2      16384 16384
          A8               16384 16384
          
          Video mixer:
          
          feature name                    sup
          ------------------------------------
          DEINTERLACE_TEMPORAL             -
          DEINTERLACE_TEMPORAL_SPATIAL     -
          INVERSE_TELECINE                 -
          NOISE_REDUCTION                  -
          SHARPNESS                        -
          LUMA_KEY                         -
          HIGH QUALITY SCALING - L1        -
          HIGH QUALITY SCALING - L2        -
          HIGH QUALITY SCALING - L3        -
          HIGH QUALITY SCALING - L4        -
          HIGH QUALITY SCALING - L5        -
          HIGH QUALITY SCALING - L6        -
          HIGH QUALITY SCALING - L7        -
          HIGH QUALITY SCALING - L8        -
          HIGH QUALITY SCALING - L9        -
          
          parameter name                  sup      min      max
          -----------------------------------------------------
          VIDEO_SURFACE_WIDTH              -  
          VIDEO_SURFACE_HEIGHT             -  
          CHROMA_TYPE                      -  
          LAYERS                           -  
          
          attribute name                  sup      min      max
          -----------------------------------------------------
          BACKGROUND_COLOR                 -  
          CSC_MATRIX                       -  
          NOISE_REDUCTION_LEVEL            -  
          SHARPNESS_LEVEL                  -  
          LUMA_KEY_MIN_LUMA                -  
          LUMA_KEY_MAX_LUMA                -
          Not sure if missing r600 is the reason as it was never there and vdpau decoding was working yesterday before the update.

          Hope that someboday can help. Thanks.

          Comment


          • Packages name changed recently on trusty, I synced them from the updated Ubuntu ones. For more info see:
            https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/graphics-drivers/

            Comment


            • Originally posted by kmod View Post
              I just acquired a netbook with Radeon HD 6310. I was able to set up vdpau for deconding with the libvdpau-va-gl1 driver(followed by uncommenting the last two lines in the config file /etc/X11/Xsession.d/20vdpau-gl), but it has stopped working after todays update. Maybe libdrm-radeon has changed?
              Don't use libvdpau-va-gl1. That emulates vdpau using va-api and gl for drivers that don't support vdpau. The performance will not be good. The radeon driver supports vdapu natively. Install the libg3dvl-mesa and mesa-vdpau-drivers packages.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                Don't use libvdpau-va-gl1. That emulates vdpau using va-api and gl for drivers that don't support vdpau. The performance will not be good. The radeon driver supports vdapu natively. Install the libg3dvl-mesa and mesa-vdpau-drivers packages.
                With libvdpau-va-gl1 smplayer plays 720p on this not very strong machine with ~9% cpu and smooth like butter, without it is about ~120% (two cores) and stutters. The improvement on flash performance (Youtube only) is also spectacular, it is a difference between ~20% and 120%. I had libg3dvl-mesa installed but there is no mesa-vdpau-driver in my repo, this is on Ubuntu 13.10 (is the missing r600 from mesa-vdpau-driver?)
                Last edited by kmod; 20 March 2014, 10:49 AM.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by kmod View Post
                  With libvdpau-va-gl1 smplayer plays 720p on this not very strong machine with ~9% cpu and smooth like butter, without it is about ~120% (two cores) and stutters. The improvement on flash performance (Youtube only) is also spectacular, it is a difference between ~20% and 120%. I had libg3dvl-mesa installed but there is no mesa-vdpau-driver in my repo, this is on Ubuntu 13.10 (is the missing r600 from mesa-vdpau-driver?)
                  You just need libg3dvl-mesa . r600 and other drivers are in /usr/lib/*/vdpau/ .

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by oibaf View Post
                    You just need libg3dvl-mesa . r600 and other drivers are in /usr/lib/*/vdpau/ .
                    Hi, so do I just symlink /usr/lib/vdpau/libvdpau_r600.so to /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/r600_drv_video.so
                    so that the system can find it?

                    (see the error in vainfo and vdpauinfo in first post, linking /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/vdpau_drv_video.so did not work)

                    Comment


                    • OK, I figured it out after a lot of googling.

                      Remove vdpau-va-gl and its configuration file
                      Put in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc these two lines
                      Code:
                      VDPAU_DRIVER=r600
                      LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME=vdpau
                      Then reboot. Now vdpau works and vdpauinfo no longer complains about missing r600. I don't know if it is obvious to everyone to put those two lines in X's init file but I have a hard time finding any instruction other than that the driver is already there. Maybe this will help someone else with same problem. It may be good to say a few words about this in the instructions for using the ppa on launchpad. That would help the not so experienced users a lot.

                      P.S. It seems that vdpau-va-gl is not very stable on this machine, apparently vdpau stops working randomly on reboot here. It might not be because of the update yesterday that vdpau was broken.
                      Last edited by kmod; 21 March 2014, 03:27 AM.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X