Blumenkrantz Picks His Next Battle: Mesa's DRI Interfaces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
    What happens to those who want to play games on a *BSD like FreeBSD or OpenBSD using X11?
    Nothing. Removing these ancient headers doesn't affect anyone using modern hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel View Post
      We need more Blumenkrantz and less avis.
      Whatchu talkin' 'bout Hazel? We love Avis.​

Comment

I get that DRI is X11 thing and Wayland can live without that but I wonder what will happen when Mesa will get rid of DRI. Will that make running Xorg on bare metal impossible?

Comment

Is there a place I can report bugs with applications using Zink?

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post
            I get that DRI is X11 thing and Wayland can live without that but I wonder what will happen when Mesa will get rid of DRI. Will that make running Xorg on bare metal impossible?
            It's mentioned in the pull request linked in the article: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/...requests/28138
            it will likely be fixed first in xorg

Comment

Originally posted by furtadopires View Post
              Is there a place I can report bugs with applications using Zink?
              Here: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues

Comment

Originally posted by dec05eba View Post

It's mentioned in the pull request linked in the article: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/...requests/28138
                it will likely be fixed first in xorg
                Thanks for clarification.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

DRI isn’t an X thing, it’s a kernel thing. DRI is how the kernel provides an interface for userspace applications to talk to a GPU; all modern video drivers are written for DRI. Wayland was created with the assumption DRI exists, a Wayland compositor *cannot* live without DRI.

X existed long before modern GPUs did - originally, video drivers (for 2D “graphics accelerators”, because again, 3D GPUs did not exist yet) were written for the X server itself. If that sounds like it would become hacky and problematic very quickly, especially once 3D GPUs came onto the scene in the mid 90s, well, that’s because it did - hence the need for DRI to be invented!

What these merge requests are about, is removing old cruft related to the ancient DRI version 1 which no one uses anymore. DRI 3, released in 2013, is the current version.

Comment

Working...
                  X