X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mxan
    replied
    Originally posted by dragon321 View Post
    I get that DRI is X11 thing and Wayland can live without that but I wonder what will happen when Mesa will get rid of DRI. Will that make running Xorg on bare metal impossible?

DRI isn’t an X thing, it’s a kernel thing. DRI is how the kernel provides an interface for userspace applications to talk to a GPU; all modern video drivers are written for DRI. Wayland was created with the assumption DRI exists, a Wayland compositor *cannot* live without DRI.

X existed long before modern GPUs did - originally, video drivers (for 2D “graphics accelerators”, because again, 3D GPUs did not exist yet) were written for the X server itself. If that sounds like it would become hacky and problematic very quickly, especially once 3D GPUs came onto the scene in the mid 90s, well, that’s because it did - hence the need for DRI to be invented!

What these merge requests are about, is removing old cruft related to the ancient DRI version 1 which no one uses anymore. DRI 3, released in 2013, is the current version.

Leave a comment:

• dragon321
    replied
    Originally posted by dec05eba View Post

It's mentioned in the pull request linked in the article: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/...requests/28138
    it will likely be fixed first in xorg
    Thanks for clarification.

Leave a comment:

• oibaf
    replied
    Originally posted by furtadopires View Post
    Is there a place I can report bugs with applications using Zink?
    Here: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues

Leave a comment:

• dec05eba
    replied
    Originally posted by dragon321 View Post
    I get that DRI is X11 thing and Wayland can live without that but I wonder what will happen when Mesa will get rid of DRI. Will that make running Xorg on bare metal impossible?
    It's mentioned in the pull request linked in the article: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/...requests/28138
    it will likely be fixed first in xorg

Leave a comment:

• furtadopires
    replied
    Is there a place I can report bugs with applications using Zink?

Leave a comment:

• dragon321
    replied

Leave a comment:

• xhustler
    replied
    Originally posted by Hazel View Post
    We need more Blumenkrantz and less avis.
    Whatchu talkin' 'bout Hazel? We love Avis.​

Leave a comment:

• mxan
    replied
    Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
    What happens to those who want to play games on a *BSD like FreeBSD or OpenBSD using X11?
    Nothing. Removing these ancient headers doesn't affect anyone using modern hardware.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikr1848
    replied
    Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
    Third and last observation. Has AMD become the "Boeing" of the chip world ?
    Once whistleblowers start dying, maybe.

Leave a comment:

• Jumbotron
    replied
    Originally posted by Bisu View Post

Can you give some source for VCN 4 problems. I cannot find this info on a rapid search.
    Thanks.
    Sure. It’s actually embedded two stories down from this one on the Phoronix homesite. Look for the first story under the date stamp March 12 entitled “ OBS RELEASED WITH AV1 SUPPORT “. Click that article and look in the comments for the poster “ shmerl “. He’s the first to leave a comment. Click on the link he (she) embedded in their reply in the bug with AMD VCN 4 . That will take you to Freedesktop.org and an issue page for Mesa. It concerns VAAPI and encoding AV1 video at a prescribed size but AMD cards with VCN 4 can’t get it right because it’s broken at the hardware level so it introduces a black pad top and bottom. Read the whole thread and you will eventually get to a poster named “ Ruijing Dong “. He’s the one who states AMD VCN 4 is broken in hardware and that he confirmed with “our HW/FW” team that VCN 4 is broken and won’t be fixed until the release of VCN 5 hardware.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X