Mesa 24.1 To Raise Limit Supporting More Than Eight Vulkan GPUs Per System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 24.1 To Raise Limit Supporting More Than Eight Vulkan GPUs Per System

Phoronix: Mesa 24.1 To Raise Limit Supporting More Than Eight Vulkan GPUs Per System

Should you be running nine or more GPUs per system, the Mesa 24.1 release next quarter will raise the limit of 8 DRM devices for the Vulkan API per system to now allow a theoretical 256 GPUs per system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wish... Then I could finally run Crysis.
    Last edited by dlq84; 02 March 2024, 03:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post
      I wish... Then I could finally run Crysis.
      Classic! Well done, sir

Comment

Comment

Now if only GPU compute on AMD could be as Just Works™ as GPU compute on nVidia. As-is, I've got the GPU side of a Ryzen 5 7600 just lying fallow because the multi-GPU-capable GPU compute apps I run can't see it and I have no use for it as a graphics device.

(Well, maybe one exception. I think the Vulkan port of the Waifu2x upscaler sees and uses it.)

Comment

Finally I can can buy number 9 and 10.
            /S

On a more serious note, anybody knows on any modern game capable of running on multiple GPUs?

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
              Finally I can can buy number 9 and 10.
              /S

On a more serious note, anybody knows on any modern game capable of running on multiple GPUs?
              Strange Brigade is pretty famous for having explict multi GPU support. Supposedly WoW has it after the shadowlands was released.

In any case I am pretty sure this still requires Windows as Linux doesn't have any SLI/Crossfire or evene explicit MultiGPU support yet.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

Strange Brigade is pretty famous for having explict multi GPU support. Supposedly WoW has it after the shadowlands was released.

In any case I am pretty sure this still requires Windows as Linux doesn't have any SLI/Crossfire or evene explicit MultiGPU support yet.
                OpenGL on Linux doesn't support letting the application list and select GPUs. Vulkan does. Take a look at the graphics settings dialog in emulators like Dolphin or Duckstation.

If you select the Vulkan backend, you can pick a GPU to render with. Likewise, Vulkan-based GPU compute tools like waifu2x-ncnn-vulkan seem to use both my nVidia discrete card and the AMD GPU built into my Ryzen 5.

Given that the docs say Duckstation's DirectX backend also lets you select your GPU, I imagine things like DXVK should be able to do it too.

...and, if a single application can select a GPU, independent of what the desktop compositor is running on, surely it can spin up multiple GPUs.

Comment

Working...
                X