Microsoft Working On Direct3D 12 Video Acceleration For Mesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bple2137 View Post
    Yes, this is being made strictly for WSLg, which already have GPU acceleration and D3D12 support, but requires their proxy and signed Windows GPU driver. They're adding VA-API/VDPAU support for video acceleration to make it feature complete.

I don't mind honestly, but they're not actually giving anything back yet. Maybe when they'll need some functionalities withing the ecosystem that are lacking (Wayland protocols? Toolkit features? General Mesa code?), they'll maaaaybe help, but let's be realistic... Probably not.
    I mean, aren't they putting back the Wayland additions they are using for the Desktop remoting over RDP?

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post

Yes, very good to bring up the intention for the code. But published code everyone has access to can help other projects utilize (change and manipulate) this code. Obviously, garbage code will always be garbage but improvements solves that (fundamentally).
      this code will have zero benefits outside of WSL and will not aid any other projects. Not saying that this is bad (since it's good for WSL users) but this is not MS doing anything to make DX12 work outside of Windows.

Comment

It seems mesa is becoming m$ sink.

Comment

Disappointing then, thanks for the replies. I figured because it was being "open-sourced" that it would be useful in some way.

Good thing we have Vulkan instead and aren't prisoners to Microsoft anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

this code will have zero benefits outside of WSL and will not aid any other projects. Not saying that this is bad (since it's good for WSL users) but this is not MS doing anything to make DX12 work outside of Windows.
            That's the glass half empty view, if you're half full then it's a good thing because any Windows user will potentially be able to just click, click, click their way into using any Linux project which can lead to more exposure, git issues, commits, donations, and all of that.

Comment

I didn't understand it correctly before I read the comments, but I wanted to write before that this can't be a honest aproach of MS, MS would be stupid to write "DX12 for Linux", they would seriously hurt themself not only by obmission but by spending own money.

So even if it would be that, they would have a plan to hurt linux somehow, by making the code so bad that maintaining would cost more time that write it new or something, because of bad code quality, or they would try to spam so much commits with thousends of lines so that nobody else could work on it, because of it's complexity and than use that to implement DRM or break it just when a popular game is released or something.

But make it sometimes so good that people would spend more resources on it and abandon partially mesa. Yes this is not the case as we learned it it just is useless to linux mostly. I just say at the current time it would make zero sense to boost gaming on linux, that would be a lemming move.

I would rather see them opensource their windows dx12 because that is cost free and they would get free bugfixes and stuff... so at least by helping linux maybe (and that would be a big maybe) they could gain something from it with zero costs.

Comment

Of course this is exclusively in M$ Interest and it will in one way or the other detrimental for the Linux ecosystem. Just wait for it. But these days its hip to ridicule EEE. Reminds me of internet trolls claiming that Putin is the good guy in news‘ article comment sections ….

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                  Reminds me of internet trolls claiming that Putin is the good guy in news‘ article comment sections ….
                  You had to put this here? If you want to start Putin is better than murderer Netanyahu and USA terrorist presidents that ruined many innocent countries.

Comment

Interesting, I wonder if this is connected to their WSA (Windows Subsystem for Android). Android probably has VA-API bindings for HW video decoding, so they would be killing two birds with one stone on this one (binging HW video decoding support for both WSL and WSA).

I wonder... Can that work with the Vlulkan video decoding frontend?

Comment

Wow, that is something Bill Gates can fap to.
                      Providing open source Linux technology that only works inside Windows. I am sure he did not even dream of that in his active time as MS manager.

Ohhh, I love Linux so much.....

Comment

Working...
                      X