No announcement yet.

Microsoft Working On Direct3D 12 Video Acceleration For Mesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I understood : MS is trying to write a guest-driver intended to « connect » mesa (guest) and Dx12 (host).
    The virtualbox additions work this way, you install the virtualbox graphic driver in the guest to have 2D and 3D acceleration.

In office, we have the issue of docker desktop on windows workstation : you must pay. So, for docker/kubernetes projects, developpers try to work with mostly a Debian in WSL2. But, today MS doesn't furnish any guest-driver for GNU/Linux based distros.

Comment

It's not linux programs what makes people go for Linux distros. It's possibility to choose how you want your OS to look and behave, better privacy, no anoying MS/3rd party bloatware etc.
      And with Windows11, more likely better hardware support and normal UI (more choises at least)

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

You have it backwards, WSL-2 is a cut down and sanded version of hyper-v. Hyper-v is quite the flexible hypervisor compared to wsl2.
        That is the polish I mentioned. For advanced users, we can create VMs and manage all the things, but WSL does that in the background for you. It feels much easier to novice users. This is the spit and polish of Hyper-V. It includes GPU sharing, RDP setup, automatically scaling CPU usage and many other features that are not defaults or are not available for Hyper-V.

Now, I am not knocking Hyper-V. I am pointing out where they differ.

Comment

This new feature provides no benefit to Linux desktop on bare metal, it's just some feature around their wsl implementation, I don't waste time on it.

Comment

It is clear that after the success of the ChromeBook M$ is aiming to create something similar, a clumsy Linux base where running on top the Windows cloud desktop with some of the keys M$ technologies.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post
              If you want the "how this can hurt Linux" view then they don't have to make the code bad, they can actually make the code good. The whole point of WSL is that you stay in Windows and not install Linux. And now with full support for also graphical applications the need to install Linux for a Windows user is even less.
              The whole point that I wrote that "before I read the comment" was that even before I read HOW they are not helping linux fundamentally, that I knew that they would not help it. After reading the first few comments I understand the way this is not helping Linux. When I write "I didn't understand before..." that means I now understand how they not helping linux.

But still thanks for the additional attempt to inform me about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

You had to put this here? If you want to start Putin is better...
                Whitewashing thief mafia dictator here? That's a new one. I guess Putin's troll farm reaches here too.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

Going by PCGamingWIKI the difference is not that big 169 games that use DX12 and 136 that use Vulkan on Windows.
                  Thats surprised me TBH, I have looked at a few games this year and all have been DX so not sure how up to date that is.

Comment

Looks like accelerated video decoding is working on Edge for Windows in "Reverse WSLg". At least with H264.

Comment

Can someone please explain why does D3D12 even exist? I know that it was released earlier than Vulkan. But what's a benefit from using it instead of Vulkan? Or it's just an instrument of Microsoft supremacy?

Vulkan works everywhere, and literally any graphical API was implemented on top of it.

D3D9 -> dxvk (formelly d9vk) -> Vulkan
                      D3D10-11 -> dxvk -> Vulkan
                      D3D12 -> vk3d -> Vulkan
                      OpenGL -> Zink -> Vulkan

Comment

Working...
                      X