More OpenCL 3.0 Bits Merged For Mesa 20.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by airlied View Post

Image support is coming but it won't be for the current radeonsi/r600 LLVM backends, so when you see it merged don't get excited if you want to use it with radeonsi.
    Well, if all it needs is NIR that won't take too long I hope. Fingers crossed!
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Hi,
      I'm new to linux. Does this mean that in the future, with this merge, I don't have to install ROCm or AMDGPU-pro to use openCL in Blender or video editor anymore?
      Thanks.

Comment

NIR based backends (nouveau, llvmpipe, radeonsi eventually).
        i thought everything can be solved with several layers of nir->tgsi etc

Comment

Originally posted by Andythe_great View Post
          Does this mean that in the future, with this merge, I don't have to install ROCm or AMDGPU-pro to use openCL in Blender or video editor anymore?
          in some future after this merge

Comment

I'm new to linux. Does this mean that in the future, with this merge, I don't have to install ROCm or AMDGPU-pro to use openCL in Blender or video editor anymore?
            Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            in some future after this merge
            airlied said merging this is not be enough and AMD GPUs are not targeted by this:

Image support is coming but it won't be for the current radeonsi/r600 LLVM backends, so when you see it merged don't get excited if you want to use it with radeonsi.
            So, yes, for sure it will not happen in the past neither before that merge, but we still don't know if it will happens for radeonsi/r600 and when.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              Very cool. I have a BOINC rig with some r600 GPUs in it and it'd be great if I could ditch fglrx and Debian Jessie.
              Wow, so you confirm there is still people using fglrx in 2020 because of the OpenCL fragmentation…
              I've added your testimony to https://gitlab.com/illwieckz/i-love-...note_451460689

Comment

Hi,
                Thanks.
                I assume you mean the vendor ROCm components. You will still need some thing that provides openCL support. The A answer is distro provided ROCm. I think if you are running a modern Debian based distro ROCm packaged by Debian should be working now. Michael did a post a few weeks back where he tested it after AMD released their image support in ROCm. You need ROCm 3.7 to get image support.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If you are running Fedora they have released a ROCm runtime 3.9 in F34 but there are some support packages that they still need to release to get image support working. . I suspect they are trying to get it working in time for the F34 release which is in April or May.

Comment

I hope this includes Polaris support, and that Blender starts working with this some day, since ROCm officially dropped support for Polaris. Otherwise, I'm stuck on AMDGPU Pro OpenCL version 19.50, because nothing newer than that works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by kode54 View Post
                    I hope this includes Polaris support, and that Blender starts working with this some day, since ROCm officially dropped support for Polaris. Otherwise, I'm stuck on AMDGPU Pro OpenCL version 19.50, because nothing newer than that works for me.
                    I feel your pain. I have a Polaris card as well. I have to dual boot to Cento and AMDGPU-pro to get openCL support. It is a real PITA . I have a burning need to upgrade to a high end 6000 series card but I am worried that I won't be able to get one until the 7000 series cards ship at which point history tells us AMD will immediately drop openCL support for the 6000 cards to force us to upgrade again.

Comment

Officially dropping support and dropping official support are two different things.

It looks to me like they're saying: "it probably works, but we don't necessarily test it and don't promise to fix bugs on them."

Comment

Working...
                      X