Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After ~70% FPS Boost For Zink, The OpenGL-on-Vulkan Code Is ~50% The GL Native Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ShFil
    replied
    Originally posted by curfew View Post
    Emulation layer cannot be as fast as the native implementation that properly utilizes the underlying hardware. Previously some people said the Vulkan implementation allows for skipping some redundant error checks, but that is only one slight theoretical improvement, whilst there must be a ten-fold amount of drawbacks.
    You make a wrong assumption here. It's not about emulating aka having the exact same behavior like other software, but to match the same specification. So under the hood it can do less and achieve the same results.

Leave a comment:

• George99
    replied
    Originally posted by rawr View Post
    Blumenkrantz which means floral wreath.
    You're right. Normally I don't care about spelling mistakes but the missing n changes the meaning to something funny. (If you speak German)

Leave a comment:

• rawr
    replied
    Originally posted by George99 View Post
    I am not the honorary editor but: Blumenkratz? (scratching flowers)
    I'm not entirely sure if you were pointing that out but the name is actually Blumenkrantz which means floral wreath.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by nokipaike View Post
    it would be interesting to see the percentage results on much more interesting hardware, with all the respect for intel ... but there is better in circulation ..
    Yes, I kind of suspect that choosing Intel for these tests is more likely to paint Zink in a positive light than RadeonSI, although I don't know that for sure.

Anyway, for those that will only read the headlines and not the actual blog post, it's important to note that parts of the demo were only running at 30%, rather than 50%.

Also, the tests were run with tessellation turned off. I actually think that probably makes the test more representative than if it was turned on, but it is important to know when comparing the results.

Leave a comment:

• George99
    replied
    I am not the honorary editor but: Blumenkratz? (scratching flowers)

Leave a comment:

• nokipaike
    replied
    it would be interesting to see the percentage results on much more interesting hardware, with all the respect for intel ... but there is better in circulation ..

Leave a comment:

• DebianLinuxero
    replied
    I don't see the point on this.

I remember the 3dfx days, when voodoo hardware hasn't a native OpenGL implementation, but an OpenGL to Glide wrapper.

Something like this Zink.

That wrapper costed performance to the voodoos.

I remember a press note of one 3dfx manager saying that the next drivers they'll do will be native OpenGL because of this.

Too late I "Zink"

Leave a comment:

• curfew
    replied
    Emulation layer cannot be as fast as the native implementation that properly utilizes the underlying hardware. Previously some people said the Vulkan implementation allows for skipping some redundant error checks, but that is only one slight theoretical improvement, whilst there must be a ten-fold amount of drawbacks.

Leave a comment:

• eydee
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Is it true that DXVK has approached/exceeded native DirectX speeds?
    Mostly in select few games, when running under Windows, on AMD cards, due to bad Directx drivers. Generally, no. When running games in Wine under Linux, the performance hit is still very noticeable, in all games, often exceeding 50%. Many of the core components of Wine were written 20+ years ago, for old Pentiums, and they lack support for both multicore architectures and modern CPU instructions. This is also the reason why native Vulkan games tend to get a severe performance hit, like DOOM (2016) does.

Leave a comment:

• R41N3R
    replied
    Great performance improvements! Yes, we need this to go upstream in Mesa 20.3 :-)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X