Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Panfrost Gallium3D Driver Merged Into Mesa 19.1 For Open-Source ARM Mali Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/hisilicon/kirin/980

Now THIS in a tasty arm SoC. Someone needs to make a laptop out of it.
    Last edited by hajj_3; 05 February 2019, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post

The day you can buy flagship phone hardware in SBC form factor that isn't 5 years outdated, I'll be glad.

Comment

Originally posted by eebrah View Post
        I am very interested to see how well this works on an Allwinner H6 ... I met get cheap ARM PCs with working graphics AND hardware accelerated media playback ... somewhere down the line
        Even today, Alwinner H6 is awesome, the Software/OS is yet a problem..
        Cedrus is trying a push to H6 too and Panfrost is also here

On processing Power, at 1.8Ghz...its a very nice miniCPU, its really tinny, but powerfull,
        Hope its hardware gets explored, and bring up, to linux users..

In my Opinion a Laptop around H6, its not a worst Idea..that chip is awesome, for its power envelope.
        I woldn't put it on a 14" laptop, but on a 11.6" its the sweet spot for H6, with 4 GB Ram, and properly clocked at 1.8Ghz...ho yeah

Comment

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post

Indeed, that would be the sweet spot for a 14" laptop, with 8GB RAM!!
          Kirin980

Cortex A55,
          Is a lot better than Cortex A53, with the same 512KB of cache L2 but at 1.8Ghz, and 'armv8.2-a' arch
          And on the big side Cortex A76 with 2MB cache L2 at 1.9Ghz, and 'armv8.2-a' arch

This would be the ideal laptop
          A performance machine!

Comment

Originally posted by andreano View Post

The day you can buy flagship phone hardware in SBC form factor that isn't 5 years outdated, I'll be glad.
            Unfortunately, its true,
            Until a company with Vision and money Jumps in..

Then the Success will make the others to run behind in a hurry..

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              This is exciting, I just hope this doesn't get abandoned like many of the other independent and reverse-engineered GPU drivers, like Lima or etnaviv.
              What are you talking about? Etnaviv wasn't abandoned. It got merged into mesa. It's still under active development. There's over twenty emails involving the driver from last month, with the most recent being last Friday. Etnaviv and vc4 were also two of the first drivers with render-only nodes, so patches came in on Jan 24th to move etnaviv over to the new common renderonly implementation. It works with Weston (reference Wayland server), they added performance counters last year, and the initiative to add NIR support surfaced last summer.

It's quite clearly not dead nor abandoned. There's plenty of posts about it on this very site.

Comment

Originally posted by andreano View Post
                Like this? https://www.96boards.org/product/hikey970/ Kirin 970 is about a year old and is still found in rather high-end phones.
                Not that I'd buy this board due to uncertain Linux support but that still is an SBC with a recent flagship phone SoC

Comment

Working...
                X