No announcement yet.

VirGL Now Capable Of OpenGL 4.1 With Latest Mesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The desktop acceleration on Windows uses DWM, which is built on Direct3D (D3D9, I think). So you won't get an accelerated desktop without D3D support. So we'll need virtualized D3D support before we can get desktop acceleration and Aero. More likely, people will focus on implementing virtualized Vulkan support and then try to layer D3D API support over that.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Is that enough for an accelerated desktop / MS office? I'm not talking games...
      Those will most likely run on Direct3D, not GL, so no.

Comment

I wonder if you could run Wine's Direct3D over OpenGL on virtualized Windows to get some level of Direct3D support with VirGL.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post
          I wonder if you could run Wine's Direct3D over OpenGL on virtualized Windows to get some level of Direct3D support with VirGL.
          the level of abstraction is hurting me, please stop.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            the level of abstraction is hurting me, please stop.
            Haha.

Comment

This is exactly what VirtualBox does.

It is indeed possible; just replacing the native direct3d dlls with a native build of wine's wined3d.
              It's the same as using DXVK on Windows.

Comment

It makes no sense because we can use DX over Vulkan instead.
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  It was implied I meant this summer (specifically, for the northern hemisphere), which I think is a reasonable estimate. Progress for VirGL is very fast, because (I assume) it doesn't actually do any of the rendering.
                  no hardware driver does any of the rendering. they command hardware to do rendering.
                  I'm guessing the extensions are just simply redirected (maybe over a virtual network?) to the actual hardware drivers, so it really just comes down to testing if these redirections actually work.
                  virgl is gallium driver. it does not talk to gallium hardware driver at the host because host does not have to have gallium hardware driver. virgl talks to opengl host driver, i.e. it has to convert gallium back to opengl
                  I'm guessing there's some behind-the-scenes work done, or else I think this would already have complete feature parity with current Mesa.
                  your guess would be better with s/some/a lot of/
                  virgl gallium driver is 3 times smaller than softpipe. but this is only one side of driver

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    no hardware driver does any of the rendering. they command hardware to do rendering.
                    *sigh* You really need to stop taking things so literally, especially where the specifics/accuracy doesn't invalidate the point. Yes, obviously the driver itself doesn't handle the rendering. I'm making a tremendously generalized summary with intentionally vague terminology, to make a quick point. What you said here...
                    virgl is gallium driver. it does not talk to gallium hardware driver at the host because host does not have to have gallium hardware driver. virgl talks to opengl host driver, i.e. it has to convert gallium back to opengl
                    ...is pretty much just a more accurate way of saying what I meant to say, with more specifics pertaining to Gallium. At least 1 other person seemed to understand the gist of what I meant.

My only point is (from what I can tell) there's not that much work to do to make VirGL caught up with Mesa, compared to other drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Is that enough for an accelerated desktop / MS office? I'm not talking games...
                      Probably not because Windows uses DirectX for acceleration.

If you want DX acceleration on VirGL then you need to bring some translation from DX to OpenGL/Vulkan (when this driver will get Vulkan support). As I know VirtualBox works the same way - implements DX on OGL thats why you can use DX acceleration on Linux host.
                      Last edited by dragon321; 12 June 2018, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X